Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyDan, Jun 10, 2006.

1. ChevyDan

ChevyDan Registered Member

Hey guys, I have an '89 1500 with a 350 and the 700r4 which just took a dump... I am looking to swap in a th350, what will I need to make this work ? I am assuming there is going to be a need for a lengthened driveshaft ?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your truck is 4x4 correct?

If so then NO you will not need to do driveshaft mods. In the 1980's trucks with the 208 or 241 tcase the overall length of the tranny/tcase combo's are all the same. This way GM could use only 1 length of driveshafts for all the trucks. The length different length of components is equalled out in the length of the tranny to tcase adapter.

You will just need the Th350 tranny and tcase adapter from a truck with an NP208 from the early 80's. You may also need its dipstick, crossmember, and kickdown linkage.

Harley

3. ChevyDan

ChevyDan Registered Member

Actually, its a 2 wheel drive.. still the same ? just w/o a tcase adapter ?

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

on a 2wd you shouldn't need a different crossmember just move it up possibly. I would guess a longer driveshaft I don't really know how long the output is on a 2wd TH-350.

Why not just have the 700 rebuilt?

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i did this on a 88 2x4. easy to do. i used the 6" long tail 2x4 th350 and had a new drive shaft made. moved the crossmember up and redrilled the holes. swaped the tone ring on the tail shaft for the speedo. and used the 700 tail housing also to keep the electric speedo working. needed to rework the cooler lines just a tiny bit.

you might want to look in to the extra long 9" or so tail shaft tranny to help in the drive shaft area. but then i dont know what you will do for speedo hook up in he truck.