Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by havok, Jan 17, 2003.

1. havok

havok Newbie

I just got a 84 K5 4x4 and looking to do lots to it. Well I was driving it the other day and one of the tranny lines came off and started to leak everwhere. I drove it to a friends and fixed the line. Now I don't have the final gear now, whenever it shifts, it just acts like its in nutural. Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Phil

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

First thing to check is the fluid level. Make sure it's at the proper level. Otherwise, the tranny may not have enough fluid to make the proper pressure to run o.d.

3. havok

havok Newbie

It says I have 2 much tranny fluid in it now, but I know more came out than I put back in. Is there a way to get teh air out or something like that that may be in the tranny?
    Thanks
    Phil
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check the tranny fluid level when it's hot and in park.
    Get the fluid level to the right level on the dipstick.
    Make sure the vaccuum line is hooked up from the manifold on the engine to the vaccuum modulator on the transmission.
    Double check the shifter linkage that its not binding up or in between gears or something.

Otherwise it sounds like it may be something more serious.

5. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

About how much fluid might you have lost? Same thing happened to me on a long trip when my tranny had a really bad front seal leak. I lost so much that 3rd and 4th blew out.

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Check the fluid level with the engine running, the transmission at typical operating temperature and in park. If you check it with the engine not running it will read higher than when the engines running.