Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevidog, Jan 19, 2001.

1. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

My th350 is acting up. Reverse is gone forever, and it leaks like crazy. Drive either works perfect or not at all, which I think is due to the constant dumping in of tranny fluid. Will an overfilled th350 lose its ability to drive forward? Is reverse on its own set of clutches? Could I have the reverse fixed and then seal it up? I don't know much about the autos, so please enlighten me. Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like its time for a rebuild. Sorry

Rene

[​IMG]

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

reverse uses the same clutches as 1st gear only. You stop them from engaging (internal leaks, worn clutches) you will probably never get to second, so you can't move. Rebuild. Pull it yourself, pay someone less than $500 to do the rebuild.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Yep... rebuildin' time. Get a shift kit, heavy duty race, and a wider direct clutch bushing while you're at it. With fluid changes, it'll last. Oh, and an external cooler. Good luck to ya..

[​IMG]

5. chevidog

Thanks for the responses, I figured it would have to be rebuilt. I thought about just grabbing a unit from a junkyard, but it doesn't sound like a decent rebuild will cost much more. Anyone rebuild their own trannys? I have built a few small blocks, but I am somewhat intimidated by the complexity of the internals of auto trannys. Anyone know of a good book? Well time to sell more parts to buy more parts.

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I bought a book on the tubo 400.It was written by a Ron Sessions.It is about 220 pages and all it contains is how too modify and rebuild the turbo 400.It is a excellent book with lot s of information and pictures and lots of detail.He also did one for the turbo 350 it looked just as good.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I rebuilt mine myself. Wasn't really that bad of job. Did it in a weekend 2 years ago and haven't had problem with it since. Parts cost me $125 for the rebuild stuff. that included all the seals, Rebuilt converter, Clutches and steels, a can of cooler flush and a book. There is a special compression tool for tranny work but I got creative with a harmonic ballancer puller some 3/8's bolts and flat washers and made it work as a compressor.
    Now some fair warning. Previous owner had blown my tranny and I ended up needing some other parts. I hit the local tranny shop and was able to buy good used parts that I needed for $75. One item that wears out is the pump stator shaft splines. The converter rides on these and from what I understand these do wear out after lots of miles.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i have rebuilt these too, and as long as you follow along in the book you probably wont have any major probs. if you have or have access to shop air you can check everything before finally assembly. and even check the operation by blowing air through the holes with the valve body removed. most rebuild manuals will describe what holes will actuate what clutches, bands, servos etc.so you can pretty much tell if its going to work or not..and if all else fails you may be able to box all the parts up and take them to a rebuilder!!

AIRBORNE!!

9. chevidog

I appreciate the help. I'm going to try the rebuild myself, since I do have a backup vehicle to drive, and should have some extra time. Thanks all