Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RAY, Nov 25, 2000.

1. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was driving on the interstate going to Thanksgiving dinner. I had the cruise control on going up a hill, it shifted into drive, but as it attempted to shift down again, nothing happened except that the RPMs went up and there was a grinding noise. I immediately hit the brake to cut off the cruise control. I thinking the it has something to do with the torque convertor but I'm not sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Almost sounds like the t-case came out of gear. What happened after you hit the brakes- what did you do to recover?

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

3. RAY

When I hit the brakes to shut off the cruise control, it slowed down a drove normal after that. In fact, I remember moving of to pass someone and it did the same thing, it almost sounds like the transmission is slipping because the engine revs up but nothing happens.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Ok, I get it now. could be alot of different things, but most likely the tranny needs rebuilt if it's the stock one (700-R4). One of the hydraulic circuits isn't releasing all the way. If it's a newer tranny (not a bad idea on an older one either), check your linkages, and other external stuff. If it is slipping internally, chances are you have many worn out parts inside. It will only get worse....

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

5. RAY

FWP, the tranny was rebuilt in 97, I wonder if it needs to be rebuild again. Any suggestions?

6. FWP

FWP CRS

I would check all the other simple stuff first. The TV cable is critical to proper shifting. The shift linkage also controls a valve, and if it's not right, will cause problems as well. There are a couple of other 700R4 posts on the board that have some really good info, check em out. I am not that familiar with that tranny. I like TH350s or 400s. good luck.

7. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

My 700R4 was slipping when taking off form a stopped position. After several days it finally went. I found out later that the torque converter was shot. It ended up sending metal throughout the tranny. I had it rebuilt with better stuff.
    If it breaks...upgrade it...[​IMG]

http://www.tjcommons.com/88K5/