Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, May 23, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hi, I'm in the process of restoring my 1989 Jimmy 5.7L 4x4 and am looking into replacing the transmission. I've been checking the wreckers for a replacement 700r4 and the person I talked to had indicated that there is a difference between a 4x2 and a 4x4 700r4 tranny... does anybody know if this is true or are they just trying to screw me out of more money?

Thanks!

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

There is a difference, the case is the same but the output shaft is different I believe. If youre wanting to buy one and stick it in your Jimmy, you need a 4x4 trans.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And make sure you get at least an '88 or later core transmission, preferably '89 or later, from what I've seen lately.

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Actually you can buy the correct outpu shaft to put in your transmission when you have it rebuilt. a place that you can buy it from is High Gear in Memphis TN. THey carry these parts as well as transfer case rebuild parts and transmission kits.

5. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hmm... ok, sounds reasonable enough. I think maybe instead of getting a used tranny, maybe I'll just do it right and have this one rebuilt; then I won't have to worry about having the right parts. I don't know if there actually is anything wrong with my transmission at this point, but with luck not being on my side either, I figure after the engine is rebuilt, the tranny will go soon after... and then of couse the rear end.

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a GM rebuilt 700 out of a 91 camaro, swap the guts over and you got a good tranny!!