Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny is being funny.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by savagek5diesel, Aug 14, 2005.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

ok, today leaving work i'm driving off and the tranny started to slip. So i put a couple quarts in it but it was full already. I cant get it into gear but it goes into park, i'm trying to figure out whats wrong so i shut the truck off. Can't figure it out so i start the truck and put it in gear and it starts moving again. 100yds later it does it again. Shut the truck off. Start it. Goes again. I had to do this like 10 times to make it home just the one mile. Whats goin on? It's a brand new 700r4 rebuild and it's been working perfect until today.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the governor gear is gone. Had the same thing happen to me.

3. savagek5diesel

is it the.....

the gov. gear huh? is that the small plastic gear inside that circular cover?

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

Yes the gov is under the round metal cover on the tail end of the tranny

5. savagek5diesel

nope

well i just checked the gov. and it's good. Any more ideas?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

WHICH tranny do you have??

If you have a TH350 or TH400,they need vacuum to the modulator to work properly--your vacuum pump might be dying(you have a 6.2 diesel,right?)...if the modulator isn't getting enough vacuum it can lead to pressure problems,and the tranny can slip,or not engage period..usually though,even if the modulator is junk or has no vacuum,the tranny will not slip,but refuses to upshift properly..

If its a 700R4,I dont know much about them,other than if the throttle valve cable is maladjusted it will act weird and then fail shortly thereafter.. :eek1: --another possibility is the filter might be clogged,or came off,and is blocking the ATF from getting to the pump in the tranny.. :crazy:

7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

those tranny comedians can be pretty funny sometimes :haha:......sorry, i could'nt resist.

8. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i vote for the filter prob. u do rebuild or someone else? id take it back if its someone else. even if u did install they will usually take a look at it for u for free.

9. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Another vote for clogged filter. I guess it might be the pump but the way you describe it sounds like you got a bunch of crap in the filter that floats away when you shut the engine down. Then when you start it back up you go 100 feet and the trash is sucked back up against the filter and the flow of fluid is cut off.

Changing the filter may get you some more service out of it but its a good chance that its clutch pack materiel clogging the filter and we al know what that means.

Speaking of Tranny comedians.... Is there any other Eddie Izard fans here? :waytogo:

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

evne if the mod wasnt gettign vacuum you would have first gear just fine

sounds like pump or filter or a valve or passage problem

talk to rebuilder

good luck

11. savagek5diesel

thanks

well, today i came up with the same concept most of you did, which is probably leading to a boogered filter. After many hours thinking about it i realized it's probably the only logical explination. The tranny has less than 20k on it, it came out of a running/stock/ 6.2 sub, it was rebuilt by a GM dealership (but i bought it second hand from a mechanic). After thinking back to when i put it in, i don't distinctly remember popping that filter in real good, and i didn't flush all the old fluid out of the tranny when i got it so it's prolly kinda gummy. Thanks for your input everybody, much appreciated. And i'll post back up how it goes.

12. savagek5diesel

update

well i pulled the tranny pan and sure enough there was an abundance of metal flakes. Yay :doah: :mad: !

13. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Yep. I've seen him live on-stage in london. He just did a tour in germany and has done some 'straight' stuff recently. Is often on TV here too. (TV - Geddit?? :haha: :haha: )

I'd take the trans back to whoever rebuilt it, fast.

Ooops! just seen your second page and looks like you cant take it back. Good luck with the re-rebuild. :doah:

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It could be that one of your valves is sticking. If you don't have time to rebuild it right now, you could clean the pan out, get a new filter and clean the valve body. Just drop the pan, take the valve body out and check each valve to make sure it is moving freely and "snapping" back to position. Any that are stuck will have to be removed, cleaned and put back in. It's also a good idea to wash the whole thing with brake cleaner. Sometimes you can get the valve body out and back in without changing the gasket. Of course you have to be careful to get everything back in exactly the way it came out.