Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Issues 6.2L 700R4

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dhdescender, Aug 27, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    My friend spun a bearing in his diesel a few months back got a new motor put back in. It took a little work to get it all primed up but its running mint now. When the shop pulled the motor the kick down cable wasnt detached so it snapped. Not a major problem another one was bought everything was bolted up truck ready to leave the shop except the kick down cable wasnt attached which he was told was perfectly fine to run but he had to manuly shift down out of overdrive. Well apparently they were wrong it also regulates the amount of oil flowing through the tranny or somthing like that and about 500ft from the shop his tranny just fried itself /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. So now he is left with a few options take his tranny to a tranny shop and get it fixed or take the th400 that came off the diesel that went in his truck and switch a 4wd tail shaft into it or buy a new tranny or I have a manual tranny. Whats the best option in you opinion taking into consideration moneys pretty damn tight after the motor work. How hard is the th400 swap and what are the options with using a gas motor tranny and has anyone swapped in a manual we have all the mounting brackets. All help is appreciated.

-Kyle

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Swap in the manual.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd swap in the manual, I have the 465 with my 6.2 and I think it's a great combo. Amazing crawlability off road, and on the road it gets the power down pretty good. The 6.2's low end grunt seems to overcome the wide ratios too.

Honestly a manual swap will likely cost as much as doing the TH400 by the time you get all the parts and stuff together.

I'd be looking into getting the shop to kick a few bucks back for their stupidity...

Rene

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think the shop should pay for the tranny. They screwed up and didn't re-attach the cable like it came in the shop.

Its called small claims court. If they won't do anything for you, spend the small amount of money to have the case filed and be nice and show them a copy of it. They should be all nice to you after that. I wouldn't let that shop do the tranny work. I would use another shop and have a few different estimates from other shops too!!

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

AMEN GUYS get that outher shop 2 pay for there stupidity its only fair and right unless ya like getting taking advantage of someday ya should learn the squeky wheel get the grease :-)
    might as well be now
    and the eperience ya gain and the $$ ya save will last a life time of memories :-)
    Randy
    p,s, nd small claims court ya cant use a attorney ( at least here in cali ) so worrys about any fancy talk getiing this crooked shop off the hook
    good luck and let us know how it al comes out

6. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the shop should pay for the tranny. They screwed up and didn't re-attach the cable like it came in the shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The shop was 100% in the wrong and needs to make this right.

A properly adjusted TV cable is a REQUIREMENT for a 700R4 not to melt itself.

Make sure you get a name brand rebuild (Bowtie, Jet, Art Carr all have good reps)