Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny jack

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jan 18, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm starting my next welding class next week, so I'm trying to think of some projects to do. Seeing as I have a leak between the tranny and case and the engine and tranny, I was thinking of making a sort of 'adapeter' that would go on a floor jack to lower the transmission. Has anyone made something like this? I've seen them for sale in the JC catalog. Pictures and ideas are welcome. I'm basically trying to figure the best parts to put the weight on. TIA

I apologize for the bad explanation and any bad spelling. I've had a few beers and I never drink.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

matco tools makes one. I also saw an article in a 4x mag were they made one that bolted directly to the t-case. That would be real handy if you were running 203 or 205. Those are heavy! a 208 isn't so bad. I have a floor type tranny jack, but it sucks for t-cases. I was thinking of making a cradle for t-cases that would sit on my regular floor jack.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want to make one and sell one, I'd be glad to buy it from you if it was of a good design. I was going to buy a tranny jack for the next time I have to do this, but it's $300 that is better spent elsewhere if you've got an idea that's just as good/safe and cheaper.

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

All you really need to do is build a box that will fit in the hole on the jack and will fit the oil pan closely and that should work. I would also think about making provisions to put a strap on to go around the transmission to help keep it from falling off.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Oil pan? My 4 speed doesn't have an oil pan. In order to make a good tranny jack you've got to figure out how to cradle the load and have it be somewhat balanced and have some kind of straps to strap the assembly to the transmission so it won't fall off.

6. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I only think about autos since thats all I have, good point though. But if he has an auto then my post still stands.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the best one i have see was for a 4x4 only. it was fairly simple. drill your jack so when you slide the adaptor in you can slied a small pin in. then your adaptor makes it so you can remove the bolts in the adaptor while the x-member is in bolt the adaptor in, to the tranny adaptor with the x-member in. then undo the x-member bolts and tranny bolts and all the other junk and lower it.
    most t-cases are heavier than the tranny, so it wants to come back as you let it down. to me, not a big deal so long as the jack is front and back.
    Grant

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmm lets see... who has the new jegs?? there's a TCI tranny adapter for floorjacks, its like 43$.. if you could beat that.. or make custom ones per transmission you would have a market i think..

9. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

At home in the drive way I use a regular floor jack with a 14in x 14in piece of plywood on top and a ratchet strap to hold the trans to the jack, I havent droped on yet, T cases on the other hand are pita.

10. kingturdherder

kingturdherder Registered Member

I don't know if you have a Harbor Frieght in your neck of the woods but they sell both tranny jacks and adapters for floor jacks for tranny's. If nothing else you could pull up there web site and get an idea of how to build one. I have their regular tranny jack which has 4 casters on it and a strap to secure the tranny to it. The configuration is a a sissor type to make the lift. It is a bit tricky balancing a t-case with the tranny conected to it but I have done it using 2x4 and an extra ratchet strap to secure it. Hope this helps and good luck with your fabrication. There is nothing like a part as tool or a fixture that you have fab yourself.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. redneck60164

redneck60164 1/2 ton status

i have 2 tranny jack one is the a scissor type that rachets up like any scissor jack would and has a nice adjustable base at the top with a strap that can be chinched down real tight, i used it to pull and replace a 700r4, 400, 2 350 works great for just a trans. for the tranfer case i got a trans adapter that fits in a floor jack it has flat bottom and to angle iron pieces on it that are adjustable with a series of holes in the so you can remove a bolt on the case and attch directly to it, it also has a chain that hooks around to hole thing. to keep it nice and secure used to remove 203,205 and 241 best thing i ever brought for the garage it was around 30 - 35 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Mine is pretty simple. I got an extra round plate with the peg that normally goes on the floor jack. I welded that to a piece of 5/16" plate that is 12x12. Then i welded some 1/2x1/2 square tubing along the edges.

I was thinking of putting 2 quarter inch thick 1.5" tubes through the plate on one side so I can put in some 1" tube that would slide up and down and lock in place with a pin, with a platform between them to give me an adjustable piece on one side.

One other thing I think Im going to do is cut a gap in the 1/2 Square tubing and then weld a piece on that is slightly long than the gap on two oposite sides for a place to tie down.

Here is a quick sketch including my future mods...

[​IMG]