Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny kick-down cable and 454 swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Aug 27, 2001.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Well, first of all, I think it's the "tranny kick down" cable. It's coming from the tranny (TH350) and has a slider that goes to the carb linkage just below the throttle cable. I haven't checked where exactly it comes from or if there's any adjustablity on the lower end as I encountered this snag late last night. Anyway, the cable is held in place by a bracket that is bolted down by the last two intake bolts on the drive side. The set up was fine when the 350 was in there but the length from the linkage to the bracket has now grown due to the 454 being in there. So my question is, does this cable have any adjustability in it, or does the big block require a different cable?? Thanks in advance as I really appreciate the help.

If it doesn't sit on a frame, then it isn't a truck.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Here is an easy cure. Go down to Advance or Autozone and look for a bracket that will hold the throttle and kickdown cables. They are adjustable and work well. They cost less then $20 and are crome plated.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The cable has no adjustments to it.
    There is prolly an adapter for it out there some where.
    All the 454's that I have seen had a t400 bolted to them and they don't have a detent cable.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The easiest cure is to just leave it disconnected. A TH 350 isn't like a 700R4, and the detent cable doesn't need to be connected for proper operation. A 700R4 would have a throttle valve, or TV cable, which would have to be connected.

If you want it to work you're going to have to come up with something. No 454/TH 350 combos ever came from the factory that I know of. Unless your TH 350 is really built up, I'd also like to warn you that you're guarenteed to burn it up with that 454. The manufacturer never made vehicles this way.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Uhh, a Turbo 350 won't kick into passing gear when you romp the loud pedal if you don't have that cable hooked up. [​IMG] But indeed, it's only a matter of time until that tranny emits a mushroom cloud.... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah what Harry said....keep a look out for a th400. Are we talking a couple of inches short here or more like a foot?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Why is it that my so-called "simple" big block swap has had more blunders along the way than a Jerry Lewis movie??? Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. Here's what I've come up with.

I'll check out the parts store and see if they have an aftermarket bracket that will compensate for the difference in length, although I doubt it will have that much adjustability.

I'll double check and see if the cable has any adjustibility where it meets the tranny, once I again I doubt it, but it's worth it to check.

The difference in length is an 1 3/4" so it's not exactly a foot, but it's long enough not to work as is.

I think what I'll do is work with the bracket and move it to the next bolt over and bend it a bit. I know what the dimension should be so I can keep playing with it until it works. This would be the cheapest and probably my only solution.

As for mating a 454 to a TH350. I know GM never did it this way but it's how my project came together. I bought the 454 before I bought my truck. I knew I wanted a Blazer and while I was looking for one I came across the engine. I bought it from the relative, a of realtive of a relative type deal. It's used but supposedly in good shape, I can somewhat trust the guy, but hey, I paid $500 for it. Ironically enough the story he told me behind the engine is that it had been installed in a Blazer but it blew the TH350 so the 454 was pulled and the 350 was swapped back in. Who knows if the story is true or not, he did tell me this without me telling him I was placing it in a Blazer and I did see the Blazer it was supposedly in, but once again it could all be BS.
    So the engine is used and I don't know what shape it is in, but I'll be happy if I get a year out of it. Probably more as my truck will not be my daily driver.
    Now the Th350, I know it's not a TH400. I do have the paperwork on the tranny and it has 13K miles on an Amcco lifetime warranty rebuild, the tranny had been checked by them every year after the rebuil up until the engine gave out, so the tranny should be in good shape.
    I know you could say I'm asking for truoble, but the way I look at it, I'm mating a used 454 to a decent TH350. How long will it last is anyone's guess. Who knows the tranny might out live the engine and I have heard of TH350 holding up behind big blocks. Future plans call for rebuilding the 454 adding EFI and dumping the TH350 for a 4L80, I'd like to someday be able to take long trips with it so the OD would be nice.
    Thanks for the replys!!!![​IMG] I'll be posting some pics soon and include a full report.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The cable does not have to be hooked up to work, but you will not have a 3-2 or 2-1 kickdown when the go pedal is mashed (but you can manually do that anyways). As for the TH350 blowing up behind a 454 (maybe), a stocker may not take a 100,000 miles of abuse or supercharged nitrous pounding, but a properly built one can take some major punishment even behind a 75,000+ mile 502 crate engine with 9.8:1 compression (in my uncle's suburban which is not a lightweight vehicle, plus it tows his boat and enclosed snowmobile trailer).
    My advice is to run it till it blows and then rebuild it properly(better low gear than a 400) or find an OD tranny. You already have the t-case and adaptor, and if you change tranny's you will have to also change adaptors, crossmember location (depends), and driveshaft length (depends). Save your money now and then get whatever you want later.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

9. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Chris,
    I'd like to hook it up so I can keep it near stock as possible. Obvisouly that rule went out the window with the 454, but I want the swap to look "factory". Besides, if it worked the way it was before, why change it now?
    I totally agree with your suggestion and that's my plan too, run it 'til it blows. I'm not in love with the TH350, it doesn't have OD nor the strength of a TH400 so I don't plan on using it forever. I had originaly planned on a "built" 700r4, but I'm not sure they will last either, so I think the 4L80 will fit the bill. As for the t-case, I've currently got a 203 in the truck so that will stay in there as well. I already bought a 205 for a TH350/700r4 which I hope will also work on a 4L80, I'll cross that road when I get there. [​IMG]

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As for hooking it up, is it a case (it was hard to decipher) of the cable being too short physically to reach from the tranny to carb linkage, or that the bracket is now mounted furthur away therefore the cable end will not reach the carb when in the bracket. If the cable is too short the only cure is to find a longer one, but if the cable is long enough and it's just the bracket that is messing you up, either adapt that bracket (weld extension on to move it closer to carb), or buy a universal bracket (usually come with a throttle cable and tranny kickdown bracket, Spectre part number 2428 or Russel part number 11090).

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Chris,
    Thanks for the part numbers, I'll take a look at them and see if they have enough play in them. If not, I'll just relocate the bracket. It's the postion that's messing everything up, the cable is just too far away from the carb. I'll figure it out, somehow. Thanks again!

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not sure how it will work for you, but Oldsmobile used a bracket that holds the accelerator cable and TV cable (350 bracket is the same) and is bolted on with the back two Q-jet bolts. Will of course, bolt right to any Q-jet. Any Olds with Q-jet from about 1970 up or so should have these brackets, all the way until 1990. 1980's 307's are going to be your easiest bet to find.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

13. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Dorian,
    The problem is the length involved. If the kick-down cable doesn;t have any play in it then the bracket has to be right on the spot. I think I'll look at it first and take some measurements, if I can make it work then proceed. If not I'll try looking for one of those brackets this weekend, but that will only set me back a day, that and what if that then throws off the throttle cable???? I'm just afraid to start introducing more room for error. I'll keep it in mind none the less, thanks! [​IMG]

14. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

My 454 and TH350 setup used a detent cable from a 70 camaro with a TH350. The length was great, and the generic bracket I bought from Summit racing for throttle and detent worked great. Only problem is that my TH350 blew before I could even make it to the end of the block (the first time I drove it out of the driveway)! I then dropped in a TH400 and a NP205, AND two new driveshafts...

SO - I have the cable here still... if you are interested, send me a email or a PM and I'll ship it to you. Let me know...

Good luck with keeping that TH350 alive! Send me over some pics of your truck with the engine installed if you have any. Talk to you soon!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a> [​IMG]

15. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    Your story pretty much scared the cr@p out of me!!!!!
    Thanks for offering me the cable but time is critical right now and I'm going to try to make the one that's in there work. I know all I have to do is move the bracket, but I was hoping it might be adjustable. I want to get as close to finishing it as possible this weekend. My final stage is getting the accessory brackets and pulleys. When I bought the engine it only had the balancer pulley on it so I have to figure out if it's set up for a long or short water pump.
    I'll take some pics this weekend and I'll post them as I'm sure everyone will get a kick out of another big block Blazer.

16. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

http://24.10.209.54/images/86truck/motor/goodmtr.jpg

Just a little motivational picture there... good luck getting it out by the end of the weekend!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a> [​IMG]

17. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    I'll be looking at all my catalogs tonight (I have just about everybody's) and I'll check out the set you got. The local parts store can order aftermarket stuff with a part number so I might take that route to avoid waiting on stuff to ship. I know it's pushing it, but I want to fire it up this weekend.
    Oh, BTW your swap is NICE!! Mine has more of a retro/stock look. Damn I can't wait!!!!!!