Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny leak stripped bolts (this sucks)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Apr 12, 2005.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well coming back from Moab this year I started leaking tranny fluid not much just a little well the leak got huge. Found the problem (this wasn't hard) the tranny to t-case adaptor had loosened up where it connect to the trans. now I am left with 4 holes in the transmision that are stripped out. What is my best option, heli coil all 4, heli coil the bottom two and leave the top two stripped and use a bolt and nut up there. Or just junk the case. I am going to be building a new tranny next month so I would like to just get by for now.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I would heli coil it, not to hard i did the bottom 2 of mine in about 2 hours,
    course i had a lift and everything, i think the kit cost like 50 bucks or around there

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I 'coiled all 4 of mine in the old transmission housing, and they held well enough that I had NO problems till I literally ripped the whole tail end off the transmission housing several months (and a fair few wheeling trips) later. When I junked the housing, the 'coils were still just fine and it had been BEAT on without mercy...

4. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

The problem you are describing is why I built this crossmember. I hated how the t-case seems to be just floating behind the trans. I used a 2nd tcase mount from a gm car to attach to the tail housing of my t-case. I since have added a skidplate but dont have picts yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Few more picts in my gallery.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005