Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Jul 30, 2001.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

My turbo 400 is leaking pretty good from the tail yoke. It almost looks like its coming from the inside of the yoke, not the outer seal. Can I fix this, and if so how?
    thanks in advance

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Somebody help, please.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Mine leaks from the transfer case yoke, just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Unless it's pouring out of there I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just pay close attention to your fluid levels.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok you got me confused. If it's a 4x4 then it would be leaking out of the transfer case. Let us know exactly what you have. If it's a fixed yoke transfer case there is a seal in the center of the yoke. You assemble it Yoke, Seal, Washer , Nut. Those seals do get old and do fail. I have had to replace one on both of my trucks. It's a soft rubber washer more or less with grooves for the splines.
    If it's leaking at the adpator from the case to the tranny there are 3 seals that can fail. One is the seal to the adaptor, one is the O-ring to the tranny and one is the oil seal on the output. Haven't mess with a 400 so not exactly sure what way it goes.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes its a 4x4, yes its coming out of the rear of the 208, and no its not leaking at the adapter from the case to the tranny.
    My fault for saying tranny, I just get into the habit of refering to the tranny and case as a single assembly, although it is not, sorry. So the seal-washer-nut thing is more than likely my fix.
    Thanks for the fix.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

well if it's a 208 it would be a slip yoke. Only seal should be a output seal.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my output seal today - I got fed up with the little ATF spot every time I parked, and I was changing the T-Case oil anyway. It cost the big $4.69 from Napa, and was cake to change.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>