Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Oct 26, 2003.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

My 700r4 is leaking after I put a torque converter in it. So I am assuming it is coming from me banging up the front seal of the tranny where the torque converter goes onto the tranny. I know it's not the tranny pan. Does anyone know what is involved with fixing this seal. Do I have to pull the tranny apart or can I just lower the tranny and put in a new seal? If I do have to pull the tranny apart to do it, how much of a process is it to do this?

Thanks
    Chris

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Front seal replacment is easy.pull the tranney,remove the converter and the seal is right there.

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

take a few pics of the seal replacement and post how it went. i have some leakage as well and the wife is giving me a load of crap over the drip pan in the driveway...

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Its real easy folks. No different than changing the tail shaft seal... pull the tranny down, remove the torque converter, remove the seal (best to use a seal removal tool, since its a tight fit. Reinstall the new seal, and reverse the process. Nothing to worry about... just have a buddy, a good trans jack OR BOTH available to help! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

5. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

if that doesnt do it
    get a Haynes book
    it shows how to rebuild
    and replace everthing,
    i hope thats all it takes is a front seal
    from past practice with 700r4's
    it was the front pump seal
    that was leaking on mine,if thats the case
    also replace the bushing