Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny leaking out the dipstick tube?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm24m, May 22, 2002.

1. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

My tranny started leaking a fair amount of fluid out of the top of the dip stick tube the other day. I just bought this blazer a few weeks ago and havn't driven it much. Just a mile or two here and there. The other day was no different. Just a few miles. Then I noticed the almost constant dripping of tranny fluid onto the exhaust. Traced it back to the tube. I checked the tranny fluid today. It was well over the fill line. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm almost positive I checked the tranny fluid the first day I had the truck and it wasn't overfilled. I checked it after running it for about 10 minutes. That was the same time I checked all the other fluid (before starting it) Now, other than just being overfilled, is there any other reason the tranny would start leaking fluid out of the dip stick tube?

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If it 'fills up' more when it runs, you could have too much pressure. Check and make sure the vent tube is clear. Was the fluid fairly new looking? If it's not brown or terribly old looking fluid, go ahead and change it and change the filter. That way, you know how much fluid is in there and also it can clear out anything that might be caught somewhere that's causing pressure to build

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my TH350. I changed the seal on the dipstick tube. Still LEAKED!

I finally found the TV cable is "up above" the dipstick tube. This was leaking. I THINK I fixed it with some silicone.

Good luck.