Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny leaks... *update th400*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Dec 16, 2005.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

When I first bought the truck it leaked, after a quick inspection prior to buying it i decided that all it needed was a gasket. Last week we replaced the gasket and the filter. My dad used 3m adhesive instead of a gasket sealent (he said that the tranny and pan were rigid enough to not need it?)

It still leaks along both sides of the pan and drips down the front of the tranny. Is my problem the fact that i didnt use a gasket sealer compound stuff or something else?

BTW is a th700
    heres a pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There is a reason adhesive is adhesive and sealent is sealent.
    Use the sealent. Adhesive is just to keep the gasket in place while your fiddling with starting all the bolts, so the gasket wont jump around on you.

3. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

That could be the front seal also. For the longest time I thought that it was my tranny pan that was leaking but it was my front seal. Now my truck is at the shop getting a new seal.
    Thanks
    adam

4. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Tranny pans are a pain...

I get the best results with no sealant or adhesive. Just get a good rubber gasket (cork sux) and make sure all surfaces are clean.

Also don't crank down the bolts. I'm not sure what the torque specs are but they are low (25 ft lbs or so I think)... Just snug them up evenly and not too tight.

I also peene out the bolt holes in the pan (or whatever you call it where you take a hammer and dimple the bolt holes slightly so they flare away from the tranny).

Good Luck,

Scott

5. broncoman6524

im pretty sure its not the pan gasket anymore. i let my truck sit over the weekend w/o being driven and i lost about 2 qts of atf:mad: It is now leaking from the front of the pan, the starter?:confused: and a couple of other places. Is this the front seal? Now im pretty pissed at this stupid truck ever since i bought it i have had problems:mad:

rant over:D

6. s1037s

s1037s Registered Member

Does it sling the fluid out? Is there an inspection plug? If you pull the plug and fluid comes out, the front seal is probably gone.

EDIT, Sorry, didn't see it was a 400. pull inspection cover look for trail of fluid behind converter.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Old trucks need TLC from time to time. If you can't handle that then sell it.

My 79 did the same thing. It was the pump cover o-ring. $4 part. If you tackle it replace the converter seal and the bushing the converter rides on. Its about $10.

8. broncoman6524

i didnt mean to come off as that i HATE the truck and HATE working on it. I actually love doing this kind of stuff i was just pissed off at it. lol my neighbor came over and looked at it (hes a mech.) he told me to bring it by his shop on wednesday and he'd look at it more in depth and tell me whats wrong.

9. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

check out the kick down cable on the passenger side of the tranny they have an o-ring that can go bad thats what is wrong with mine.
    i had to use an inspection mirror to see it but sure enoph thats where it leaks
    i found out after two pan gaskets and a deepsump aluminum pan.

10. broncoman6524

well i took it down to a friends shop today to get my th700 rebuilt but after talking to him for $100 dollars more i can get a new th400. So im like wth its a stronger tranny and by the time i'm done spending money on this truck:haha: most of it will be near new.

What is yalls opion of this "deal"
    Cant wait till friday (hopefully) to have my truck back, now i'll need to go try it out....:D

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'd do it. You're gonna need to modify your front driveshaft and transfer case input just FYI.

12. broncoman6524

apparently theres a kit that has an adapter plate so you dont have to modify any driveshafts. Im not doing the swap one of my dads friends shop is.