Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I've got a 87 Jimmy with 700r4. I would like to know which cooling line is which. I'm putting a external tranny cooler on it and want to know which one is which. I've heard that the top line on the stock cooler in the rad, is the from rad to tranny line. I would like to have the lines referenced to the tranny itself(incase people have mixed them up in previous years). I just want to make sure the fluid runs through the orig cooler and then to the external cooler and back to tranny. Thanks.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    "If it ain't got rust, it ain't got character"

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, top should be fluid into radiator. Can always pull one and have someone bump the starter of course, but thats messy

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Ok if you go buy my Haynes Techbook it says if you live in a cold climate,incorporating the existing cooler is a good idea since it will allow the transmission to reach operating temperature faster. To find which one of your cooler lines is the one you need start you blazer and feel both lines the one that gets warm frist is the line that should go to the radiator then to your auxiliary cooler and back to your tranny hope this helps Eric

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm going to have to get my hands dirty and turn the engine over to see which line pukes out the oil. One question, does the tranny need to be in neutral for the pump to pump oil through the lines?? Or does it pump the oil through the lines in park? I've heard too many differn't opinions on which line is which so I'm gonna figure out myself. Thanks for the info.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    "If it ain't got rust, it ain't got character"