Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny maintenance Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Mar 25, 2006.

?

How should I service my auto tranny?

1. Pull the pan and replace the filter.

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Take it someplace and have it flushed.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Replace the filter AND have it flushed.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Do nothing, it's too risky.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Something else.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a 1986 CUCV with TH400. The odometer says 41k, but it might be wrong. The service history is unknown. The fluid on the dipstick looks decent to my eye (fairly red, no chunks). I've been reading some bad stuff about not changing the fluid and then changing it. I've also been reading some real bad stuff about tranny flushing. At the same time, you get less than half the fluid out if you don't flush...

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If the 41k is accurate, you could get away with a filter change.

If it's actually 141k (or 241k :eek1: ), just let it be. Putting in new fluid will wash away all of the varnish that's holding everything together.

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I have a habit of changing all the fluids on every vehicle that I buy.. That way I know what, when and how much I'm working with :D I have not had any problems with doing this on any of them..

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Unless a used ride comes with very neat and clear service records indicating otherwise (and that's not the case with almost all trucks of this sort), all lubricants get drained/flushed, all filters changed, absolutely right. Even the axles get drained, covers removed, and the innards inspected.

5. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Yeah, I do the same - every time I get a new vehicle, all the fluids get drained. It's the best way to see what you're dealing with, and if you're lucky, catch the previous owner's screw-ups and shortcuts before something really goes wrong =)

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

At the least I'm going to drop the pan and replace the filter. My big question was whether having it flushed is a good idea. I was about to do it, but after surfing on it I have my doubts. Sounds like it can cause problems sometimes.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Complete fluid change is always good ! If there is something wrong it was going to go wrong anyways - not because you changed the fluid. If flushed properly all will be well . How thorough of a flush job really depends on the person doing it and how good the equipment is .

Tom

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I probably would flush it. After that you don't need to, just change the filter and what oil you can. That is what I do annually.

9. william m. olsson

william m. olsson Newbie

tranny question

Hello,

How are you? Well you have a couple of different options to consider. How many miles ie. More than 80k miles and if transmission was serviced prior to you owning it. You could get away with replacing the filter, but that only removes about 25% of the fluid. It also determines what kind of condition the fluid is in. How dark is it? Does it smelled burnt? If so, air on the side of caution, usually a flush with filter change should do it. You can take it to any major auto repair center ie firestone, midias, or monroe and should cost about 200 dollars, unless you know someone. I hope that answers your question. Please write back and let me know how you make out. Any questions don't hesitate to write back.

Good Luck,
    Bill

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Most of the military vehicles will have low miles, and I would consider the 41K to be accurate. Still, I would drop the pan, change the filter and the fluid that is lost. You should be good to go.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

By all means Change the fluid. You dont really need to flush it.
    This is what I would do. Get a drain plug kit ($5.00) at your local auto parts or an aftermarket pan with a drain plug if you want to spend the bucks.. Pull the pan, install the plug, and change the filter. Then its no big deal to drain and fill with new fluid. Thay way you can always keep your fluid fresh and clean.
    If your trans has problems it will be ovious when you pull the pan.
    I have a plug in my trans pan. I drain and refill at least once a year. Keeps my 700R4 strong and healthy.