Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny makin screeching noise and throwing sparks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Dec 19, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

I put in the new tranny etc...but now it is makin a screeching noise and hittin on something. i tihnk it is the tc hittin somewhere on the tranny. it will throw sparks. but, it only does it when i get on it...n e ideas?? thanx

NITRO

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Where exactly is it throwing sparks from? I'd say that you probably don't want to drive it if it's throwing sparks... </font color>

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

when i get on the gas, i tihnk the torque converter moves in towards the tranny and contacts something on there. i have 4x4 shifter boot off, and i can see sparks flying when i floor it and i makes the noise. but, the wierd thing is that it doesnt always do it and not always at the same rpm. so i tihnk im gonna take the torque converter out and see where it is contacting at. n e other ideas??

NITRO

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

is your bellhousing cracked?

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

no, but even if it was, i dont think that would let it do what it is doing... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

NITRO

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd sure love to see some video of it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Always hunting for video eh...
    All the advice i can give ya is take it out and see where the rubbing is at, that will atleast give you a starting point.

8. Geno

Geno Registered Member

Have a short story for you. I purchased a Suburban with a GM crate motor in it a while back. Was going to use the motor in my Jimmy, Pulled the motor, was going to put a new oil pump in it before install, pulled pan, you could see where crank had been rubbing the journals, moved back and forth 60\1000, thrust washer on crank had big groove in it, Knew this couldn't be right, talked to an engine builder, he said this can happen when the internals of the torque converter let go, letting the torque converter actually expand when you put your foot in it, He said sometimes it will push the crank forward or it will expand and hit the front pump bolts on the transmission. This is what happened to me, just wanted to let you know what it possibly could be. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif BTW I had to build a new motor because of this /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, same thing can happen if someone rides the clutch all day long. Puts end force on the crank and wears the thrust bearing out.

10. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well, looks like ill replace the tc this weekend. its a reman and has a lifetime warranty. thanx so much guys.

NITRO

11. phillymudhog

phillymudhog Newbie

***hijack****

i have an 87 blazer make a screeching noise (thought it was a belt at first) at high rpms just before trans shifts,when i first get on the gas it sounds like wind howling . what do you think bearing or trans??