Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny- "Manual Lockup Clutch Switch"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Dec 8, 2003.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Tranny- \"Manual Lockup Clutch Switch\"

First, a confession, I know absolutely zip about tranny talk. Ive got a 700R4, 4.88 gears, 38 tires. Ive been emailing a guy at Bowtie Overdrives about a new unit. He says, "You will need to install, understand and then use a manual lock up clutch switch to prevent rapid fluid degredation while in overdrive." What the hell is this? Any info would be much appreciated.

2. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

Re: Tranny- \"Manual Lockup Clutch Switch\"

First we kill most of the lawyers, you can't be that bad you own a Blazer.
    Any way, why do you want a new tranny is it blown? If you made it past 100,000 miles you did good.
    As far as fluid degradation goes, that means the fluid gets to hot and breaks down and ulitimatly a tranny failure. If you go to a good tranny shop, they can install a manual lock up switch. You would put it in lock up manually on the highway. Around town leave it out of lockup. Since you have a 4speed overdrive, you can drive it between 40 and 50 mph in 3rd gear. it would still lock up, but not as early and in OD.
    Also, put in a tranny cooler. I have 225,000 miles on mine. The first tranny went at 125,000. The second and 220,000. Change the filter and fluid once a year.

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think the original tranny is heading south fast. My OD doensnt work (bucks like a bull) and lately, Ive had trouble around town in 2-3. Thats how I ended up talking with the guy at bowtie. Ive just never heard of a manual switch lock up thing-a-majigy.

4. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

That is the sign of it taking a dump. Is the fluid red? If it is brown and smells bad, find a good tranny shop. You really do not need the manual switch. It is a good idea. You are just having problems because the tranny is junk. Plan on about $1500.00 to $2000.00
    If you have a Cottman or Lee Myles tranny shop, use them. They offer warranties if it does go again. Also, if it blows some where in East Jabip, you can find a franchise shop some where that will honor the warranty.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are good at electrical work you could do it yourself. Basically all you need is the wiring from the plug on the tranny to where you will mount a toggle. You will need to use a relay to do it right because it needs to disengage when you are slowing down. To describe this I usually say... when the torque converter is locked it is like having the clutch pedal out on a manual tranny, when you come to a stop it will kill the motor just like on a manual because the converter is locked in place with the rest of the tranny so there is no slippage there to reduce heat(what the guy was saying) and to help lower RPM's at cruising(it can bring your mpg up around 1 to 2 extra in OD)
    To do it yourself like I am doing you need a 5 way relay...reason being you need the fifth point to tie into your brake lights so when you hit the brakes it will override the relay and open it and disengage the lock up. Run a toggle in and the plug from the tranny in along with ground and a power source and you should be good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

make sure your vss and speedo is working properly.
    my truck was bucking like you said and come to find out,
    that becouse of my speedo going bad and sticking , the
    converter lock-up and vss couldnt communicate to decide
    what speed i was going and should the converter lock up.
    i am not saying that is your problem, just a thought.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If I were to install one of them does that mean i can hammer it at like 75 and not have the SOB kick down into 3rd gear and rev high as hell and blow black smoke like a bitch?

9. jeremy91k1500

jeremy91k1500 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If I were to install one of them does that mean i can hammer it at like 75 and not have the SOB kick down into 3rd gear and rev high as hell and blow black smoke like a bitch?

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you want to do that? putting that kind of stress on the OD clutch pack is not good, as the clutch pack is the smallest, thus weakest portion of the trans. also, kicking down into 3rd gear will cause you to accelerate quicker (i assume that is what you want, since you're matting it at an already high rate of speed). as for the black smoke, you need to do some tuning...

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

There is a way to make the lockup torque converter all hydraylic as well. Simply a matter of dropping the valve body and switching out a part. Then the lockup is all done inside the trans and no need for wiring anything. Any transmission place should be able to do it. My tranny guy did it for me.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My buddy had a shop do this, it involves an additional check valve (ball bearing) in the TCC solenoid.

Stopped working about two years later, was staying locked up all the time because the ball bearing starts working the surface that holds it in place, and starts sticking. May not be common, but it's possible. May be other ways to do it that won't fail, but thats the only way I've heard it done.