Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny: New v. Rebuilt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Jan 27, 2001.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Now I don't want to start the debate over the 700r4 tranny again, but mine is shot. Blew out 2 weeks ago. Seems the consensus on this board is that a properly rebuilt 700r4 can last a long time. However, I've also heard that it's better to go with a brand new 700r4. Should I go brand new or rebuilt?

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

my 700r4 blew out at 165000 miles on my 1987 k5. I had it rebuilt with all the goodies ( heavy duty torque converter and corvette servo, etc ) and it runs better than ever. the total for a rebuilt ( upgraded ) one ended up pretty damn expensive, but at least the shop that did the work will warranty all of it.

baja surf nazi

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would talk to the Racer Guys in your town and find out who does their work....if you get a New one (from the dealer?), you get the same thing you started with....if you buy one outright from Jet Performance, you get a "New" tranny that is totally different from the dealer, and is dang near bullet proof...or...you can have your local (NOT amaco) tranny guru rebuild yours with parts that will suit your needs and wallet....big clutch paks, Vette parts, hardened Sprag, aren't all that expensive, and usually will fill the needs of a daily driver/weekend warrior.....whatever you do...get a BIG aftermarket cooler.....the newer 700's have a 9 vane pump, and have solved the oiling problems to the tail that plagued the early models (pre 86)...you'll get lots of advice on this...if ya got $1500, I'd jump all over the Jet 700R....I got a Jet kit in mine, and I love it...best money I have spent so far......good luck...JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....

4. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

If 89 or newer rebuild if not I would again buy from bowtieoverdrives.com
    I considered a rebuild but the chevy parts recomended as needed with the B&M kit to bring up an 82 to 89 (all recomended by kit) cost an extra $1200 from GM so I sent the kit back to summit and went with bow tie overdrives.

Have been very satisfied.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Give these guys a shot, at least take a look.<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.700r4.com>http://www.700r4.com</A>

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

bowtieoverdrives.com and 700r4.com are the same site. I'd have it rebuilt. But after seeing Mr.reds sticker on the blazer he just bought, looks like a new 700r4 from 91 only cost $889, versis 1300 for the rebuild.

However, If your going with the re-build, "I" wouldn't put the corvette servo in there. The extra bang with the bigger servo tends to be more harsh on other drive line parts. An RV shift improvment kit will do the trick to help get the tranny to shift quicker to cut down on heat. But if you go with the big cooler you shouldn't have any problems with heat. The heavy duty sprag is a must and get the thicker clutch paks and you should be good to go, with all new seals and o-rings too of coarse. And to the best of my knowledge the JET trannys are re-furbs that meet their standards. I dont think they are "NEW". Go to there site adn read. I think you'll find that they quoted that they are rebuilt to their specs.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ftn96 on 01/28/01 08:06 AM (server time).</FONT></P>