Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Noise

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cleszkie, Nov 18, 2001.

1. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

I run a 350/350TH combo in my 72 K5. When I shift the auto tranny into reverse, there is a slight "klunk" when the thing is engaging (there is no noise when shifting into any of the forward drive settings). What is this, and how worried should I be? Just had the thing rebuilt less than a year ago and is still under warrantee. Any opinions, experience with this problem, possible remedies, or condolances are appreciated!

2. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it’s coming from the trans? I'm sure you'd know if it was u-joints… but it could also be that the driveshaft is worn out. I used to get a clunk when I'd start from a dead stop that I traced to the driveshaft. If I lubed up the slip joint the clunk would go away for a short while.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Check the u joints and also the rear end. If the rear ens has alot of play it will do that. I just found out why the burb clunked when I put it in reverse, it was the side gears are chipped and clunked till it got to a good point. I wouldnt really do it in drive though go figure.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>