Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny not engaging

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by #3fanhardcore, Aug 9, 2001.

1. #3fanhardcore

#3fanhardcore Newbie

A buddy of mine has a 1984 blazer that has been parked for about 2 years, when we cranked it off the other day the transmission would not even come close to engaging.We let it run for close to an hour and nothing. We checked linkage,fluid,etc. What would cause this and what would it take to fix it??

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Tranny maybe dead now.
    If the fluid wasn't getting to areas after two years,things maybe gummed up or stuck. Might be worth trying a power tranny flush.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Do you mean shift, or when you move the shifter into a gear range, it doesn't put the truck into a gear?
    Yeah, I'd go for a power flush too. If it's not a 700r4, maybe the modulator hose dried out and broke off, so it's not getting any vaccuum, but that would affect auto shifting only, I think.

The linkage is definately ok? If you crawl under it (with engine OFF, just in case it decides to engage while you're under it...) and have someone shift, can you actually see the linkage moving the lever on the tranny? Will it come out of park and into nuetral? If not, then I'd say the linkage is messed up, or maybe somehow the lever on the tranny is loose.
    How'd the fluid look and smell?
    Maybe water got in it and wreaked oxidation havoc while it sat...
    If the linkage is ok, drop the pan and see what things look like in there. If it's gunked and watery, power flush it before running it again.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**