Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny options...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by solowookie, Oct 9, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

what manual tranny options would I have to put behind a 350??? (yea, planning for my new toy!!! [​IMG][​IMG])

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Really depends on what kind of power you want to have and how many gears. I personally love the Munchie transmissions... either M21 or 22, but they are highly sought after and pull a pretty decent penny. An Aftermarket Tremec would give you 5 speeds instead of 4 and call handle up to about 500 ft-lbs. Of course a good ole 6 speed would be pretty awsome too [​IMG] , but all of the above caost some coin.

If you plane to keep it on the mild side you can use the gm Sag 4 speeds. I've seen them handle some ok power plants well. I'm sure there are other options as well but these are the most familar ones I know of.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. solowookie

LOL (you're gonna live this!)

I'm looking for a good 'cheap' optoin! LOL

I'd like a 5 speed (6 would be cool, but I'm sure there is a really good price tag attatched), but would accept a 4 if it didn't have a granny... actually I'm kinda thinkin my cheapest scenario would be a 4 speed with granny, and then re-gear the rearend so it would be more like a 4 speed with OD. (now I'm sure the gearing combinations would be less desirable so I'd probably do a raptore before this option)...

what used trannies could I look for (i.e. what cars did they come in - what years) that would bolt up to a 350?

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could try for the 5 speed that was offered in half ton GM pick-ups starting in 88. Not really sought after cuz they don't have a granny but they sure shift smooth and can prolly handle a decent amount of power. The longer shifter would work nicely for a truck like that.
    The plus side is you can run some deep gears for off the line fun without killing your cruise RPM's. My 88 GMC had 3.42's with 27" tall tires and it would comfortably cruise at about 1900 RPM on the freeway. 4.10's would be killer!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by tRustyK5 on 10/10/01 12:47 AM.</FONT></P>

5. solowookie

hmm... you have any idea what tranny that is?

actually I have 2 concerns; fabricating in the clutch (I'm not sure whether this was standard or manual, but I'm sure it would take some fabrication), and 2 the engine I have blue printed runs a little over 400 hp / torque. I'm not sure if this tranny would handle it, but I'd definately be interested in checking it out.

is the thing computerized? (I'm assuming now, but I'm not sure there aren't some kind of governers involded with that stuff, but that may all be on the motor)

6. tRustyK5

No electrical other than a back-up light switch. It's a one piece all aluminum tranny with a hydraulic clutch...made by Getrag. I think the tranny should handle 400 hp OK. It's a top loader as well.

I'm sure that '50 Chevy has a clutch pedal so all that would be needed would be the clutch master and a few lines and you'd have a nice clutch. My buddy has the same tranny in his work truck, 270,000 miles with no trouble and the original clutch. It is a little noisy when idling in nuetral, but they all do that even new.

I really liked the tranny in my GMC...it shifted fast and smooth enough to bark the tires hard in third.[​IMG]

Check out a car lot and look for a 88 and up 1/2 ton pick-up with the 5 speed and take it for a spin...[​IMG]

Rene

7. solowookie

you're gonna love this one; I really like the s-10 tranny's, but don't feel they will stand up to what I "wanted" to do! well they've got me convinced to build and inline six... LOL (never saw that one coming)

anyway, these guys claim they can run 350's under all the time with em, and get well over 20 MPG! these guys really seem to know what they are talking about so maybe I'll give it a try... the main one (and there are several of them) builds hotrods for a living... gets 500-600 miles out of a tank of gas...

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

What kinda front suspension set up you gonna use? Nova? Mustang II ? I would look into doing a mustang II setup, just looks cleaner and everybody and thier grandma makes a kit for that set up. I would also suggest picking up a catalog from RB's Serious Hardware 1-800-426-6607 or <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rbsauto.com>http://www.rbsauto.com</a>. They aslo make a bolt in kit for the rear axel to get it out of the clouds and in the weeds where it needs to be[​IMG]. for a radiator I wouldn't even mess with the stocker my brother tried and lets just say it didn't work. He ordered a 4 core with tranny cooler from Dan's Classic Auto Parts 1-503-234-6674 they don't have a website that I know of. the radiator is a direct bolt in and only cost $285 which is way cheaper then one from say Cobra or Walker. I even ordered one for my 40 coupe because for that price I could make it fit. get an issue of classic trucks or street rodder( Mine come monthly[​IMG]) Good Luck and Happy Street Rodding.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

9. tRustyK5

Not the S-10 tranny...full size half ton with the 5 speed. My GMC came with the TBI 350 and the 5 speed.

It's not my project obviously...but please build a small block or big block for that thing. It deserves a killer sounding V-8 IMHO...

Rene

10. solowookie

LOL!!! man I definately know what you mean!

man I'm kinda mixed, but these guys seem to really know what they are doing... LOL let me tell ya I was absolutely floored when the first guy brought it up. I tell ya what though, they really are convincing!

the guy I was mentioning says that he's passed other hotroders more then once on a way to a show, and blew them away. (I don't think he's blowing smoke up my @#$, he's not the only one saying this) had a couple people talking to people they were with before they got there convinced he had a 454, or even a 502 in the thing...

I'm not sure, this guy is running a s-10 manual tranny with a z28 box, and the this, the guy is running a 235! "The motor is the 235 that came with the truck in 54.I bored it .080 over and cut the head.040 and another.040 off the block" and he is running a 'mild cam'... go figure huh?

I haven't really decided anything yet... (but I gotta tell ya they are very convincing.

what it looks like to me is that they are building an enigine that isn't real high in HP (under 200), but they seem to be real strong on torque.

these are guys who specialize in hotrots! man I'd think they know a little of what they are talking about (although I'm like you, I've been really skeptical).

it is kinda like here though, they seem to be a really good group of guys, and unless you have that first hand experience you are 'going' by faith with what sounds reasonable.

11. solowookie

actually I've seen this site already... was wondering why their cross members were so cheap compared to everybody elses. everybody there has recommended not to use this cross member, and that this companies just resales. should be able to get everything they sell cheaper else where.

anyway I'm don't know if I'm gonna do mustange II, or a nova / camaro setup. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/Parts001.htm>However, this is the setup everybody is recommending for a good system / good price.</a> by everything else you've recommended I'm assuming you have seen their adds?

12. solowookie

oh yea, p.s. I saw a willy's truck in the junk yard here, and looked about the same generation. cab wasn't in bad shape, and I don't know the other stuff, but if you think there is stuff you may need I can go check it out for you.

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I realy need a good drivers door, I can make the passenger siade work cus i'm putting new door latches onit but eh drivers side door skins is all peeled off and bent. I'v seen TCI before , and there are probably the most expensive. I'd look at a groundhawg, not the tire company, they have a front mustang member that sits an 1" to 2" lower then all other, hence th ename ground hawg. I'v seen a 37 Chevy coupe running a 6 cyl. and he does race it. It was in a couple mags, I don't know him but know OF him. the editor that rode with him said when he got on it it did put him into the seat, it was a 262 I think with a turbo.
    My dad has 1929 Chevy Sedan and he wants a front clip installe don it off of a nova or a mustang, but I'm trying to get him to do a kit or even 4 bar with straight axel, but it's his so he can do what he wants. My 40 coupe has a camaro clip and my brother 50 truck has a 76 nova clip.

When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

14. solowookie

I have, actually, located a nova clip... how hard is the install on a clip like that? (price would sure be a lot better, and I'd could change over to something else if I didn't like it).

I go check out that door sometime for ya in the next day or two...

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

What year clip? does it have disc brakes? I forgot that we are clipping my brother in laws also he has a 77 clip we are using. basicly the clip will sit right under you exsisting frame under the cab and be cut off at and angle but the front spring hanger to match that of the clip.
    That Willy's truck wouldn't happen to have the rear fenders would it? I need to those to cut up to cover my tires, thanx

55 Willy's