Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rpm35, Nov 4, 2003.

1. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

I lost my tranny a few weeks ago /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and need to know my best option for replacing it. I am a poor college student so money is a major factor. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I don't want just a stock replacement, I want it to be stronger than stock. I also want to go with a full manual valvebody. Should I have it rebuilt in a local shop with the upgrades I want, or should I buy a new replacement from TCI or B&M? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The tranny is a 4l60e.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if you are poor college student then you will probably be with stock replacement for a while
    join the crowd /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

did you swap in the 4l60e? or are you not talking about the 91 jimmy? that truck would have the 700r4, redesignated as the 4l60 in 92 (i think). The 4l60e came out in 93.

if its for a 91, and you want the cheap option, then look for someone swapping out their 700r4. This doesn't solve your non-stock requirement, but it gets you running and then you could build it up when the cash is on hand.

4. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

I guess it is the 4l60 witch came out in 91.

5. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

in that case, you could use any 700r4 as they are the same thing... just renamed. look for an 88 or later to start with... if you want to go cheap. I went with one from http://700r4.com/ myself, and i love it... the prices are really pretty good considering the quality and the support they offer. I got a level 3 so i would have the hardened parts and the ease of mind while pounding on it.