Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny or engine problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Oct 7, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

Ok im gonna try and explain this as best as possible. When i first start acclerating with the petal kept at a constant place, the truck seems to die and then starts to go within a mater of a second. Then when the truck reaches between 35 and 45 it starts to jerk really fast like the engine is dying and then going. But a friend told me it could be the tranny slipping. Either way this really sucks. Its a new egine and a rebuilt tranny. Also, after a 600 mile trip, i noticed the engine was a quart low on oil. Other than looking at the amount of oil, what is a good way to tell if you are burning oil? All these problems started after this 600 mile trip. Any ideas on what culd be causing this?

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like your carb might be out of adjustment. And as far as the oil burning goes......well if its a new engine, you shouldnt be burning oil, that would mean your piston rings and seals are bad, or maybe the wrong size? With your engine running, hold your hand behind the exhaust and see if it splatters oil on you.

3. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

if it was the carb, how come it only does it at certain times..it is very consistant to were it does it...............could it not be the tranny slipping? What is a good way to tell if th tranny is slipping?

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

When the tranny is slipping the RPM's will go up then go down when the clutches grab.
    It won't feel like it is going to die.
    It sounds like the ignition system is having fits.
    A coil that is going out will act this way.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

5. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

actually it does feel as the engine spools down then grab real quick into a high rpm, almost like it is shifting back and forth really quickly. Someone just mentioned a tork convertor. What do u guys think

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That is a sign of the tranny slipping.
    I am not experianced with the 700 but it sounds like the converter is locking and unlocking.
    There are a bunch of guys here that have experience with these trannies and will point you in the right direction.

7. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

so your thinking it may be the tork convertor........would that cause any internal damage?

8. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

any other imputs?

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

As I said the 700 is a mystery to me.
    keep taking this to the top and someone that knows these critters will help you.
    But yes if it keeps doing this it will take something out.

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a fuel problem. I had my 86 jimmy do this twice to me. The first time was the charcoal canister exploded and put charcoal in the carb, so I had to rebuild it. The second time was the fuel filter was cloged, so I changed it along with the pump just to be safe.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Fuel or ignition would be my thoughts. Fuel "cut out" is usually EXTREMELY harsh, at least in the manual transmission vehicles I have driven. Teeth rattling harsh.

If you think its the torque converter clutch (thats lock up) crawl under the truck, and unplug the connector on the drivers side of the transmission. Do NOT drive this way for a long period of time, just long enough to see if the problem is fixed. If it's that predictable, it should be no problem to diagnose. If the torque converter itself fails, more often than not, you won't be going anywhere.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

12. english_bloke

english_bloke Registered Member

How many miles do you have on your engine? If the rings have not seated properly, due to not enough miles yet to break it in, then it will burn oil.

Cheers,

The English Bloke

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd say it's a tranny problem if the engine speed increases when it cuts out.
    Pull off the inspection cover over the flywheel/torque convertor and see if you're leaking the oil or find tranny fluid there. If it's new, it should be clean, so if you do see a lot of muck, you know you have a leak to find, that might be causing this.
    Just before the tranny blew up on my S10, it did something very similar. When I got the torque convertor out, I inspected it pretty close and found a pretty long crack going down it.

If it's really the engine dumping out, I'd check into ignition, then fuel. If it's consistent like that, though, maybe the carb is out of adjustment, not delivering fuel right...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

14. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

I vote for fuel filter and/or fuel pump.
    If the problem start when the engine is hot, try to put a wet rag on the fuel pump, if the problem quit, you got it.

Luca