Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny or tcase probs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, Jun 26, 2004.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i borrowed my buddy's 82 jimmy (automatic). I was driving, slowed down and then when i went to go accelerate the truck again, it wouldn't go anywhere. I turned the truck off and then started it again, same thing happened. the truck will run fine. i can put it into a gear it just wont engage( it will be in drive and i press the pedal and the engine revs). the tanny fluid is fine and the linkages are fine. i tried to put the truck back in park and it makes something like a grinding sound. the last time it happened i put it into 4 lo and then back into 2hi, then put it back in drive and it worked. the tcase was in 2 hi all the times this happened. Is his tranny dead or tranny or do you guys have any other suggestions?

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

sounds like the planetary in the transfer case went out. The Transmission is spinning and that is why it grinds when you put it in park, Turn the motor off to put it in park to solve that. But usually when a planatary goes, it sounds like a grenade went off under the truck. sounds like the tranny is still turning though, could of broke the chain also in the t case, that might not make as much noise. Jack the back wheels up, and turn the drive shaft, with the tranny in park, drive, whatever, if the drive shaft still turn while it is in gear then it is probably the t case. lol

3. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

so i jackeed up the rear and put it in different gears and it turns but doesnt turn when in parked(thats normalright?). oh yea i do have to turn off the truck to put it in park to avoid the grinding noise. hhmmmmnnn... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

did the t case slip out of gear? you said something about putting it in 4 high then 2 high and it working, could be a shift fork problem in the tcase.

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

i am with monsterjim on this one
    your shifter fork inthe t case
    your buddy probably lifted it but didnt readjust the shifter linkage after the lift
    good luck
    R

6. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

so...how would i go about fixing this? is there anyone near laramie wyoming that would be willing to help? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You described my truck, I have yet to get around to adjuting it ( I just use 4 lo or 2 hi anyways ). But I did remove floor shift cover and boot, removed 4 hi stop plate and when shifting without the stop plate the shifter grabbed each gear enough to stop grinding. It is a threaded rod with a jam nut on each side of it to adjust on 80's trucks with np208's /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif