Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny pan gasket...is it suppose to be juicy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Jul 22, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, I think I have tracked down my tranny leak and I'm hoping it is this simple. My tranny pan gasket sticks out a hair all the way around the pan. I can squeeze it and see the fluid come out. Is this normal?

The other place where I think it is leaking is on the driver side of the tranny pan, where the shifter goes into the tranny (I *think* it's the shifter...help here, I'm an idiot). I can see the fluid and I think it runs down onto the gasket and then spreads around the pan. Is this possible?

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Anyone??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. ji240

ji240 Registered Member

The tranny pan and gasket should be perfectly dry. Drop the pan and replace the gasket ( Dont forget to do the filter while you are in there )When you buy a gasket make sure it is flat and not folded up in a box.

Hope this helps

John

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i like my steaks and women juicy, but usually not my tranny pan gasket /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Thanks, guys. I dont' know what kind of gasket the former owner used but it's nice and juicy.

Suggestions on brand and where to get new gasket???

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

always use a felpro gasket never use a cork casket /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif oh and don't over tighten the bolts or you will pinch the gasket and it will leak /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. fourwheelerjeff

better to spend a little money and get a higher quality tranny filter kit with a better gasket in it, try to snug all the bolts about the same but if you squeeze it so tight it is pushing the gasket out, then that is too much /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The shifter could be leaking. The seal can be replaced by dropping the pan, disconnecting the shift linkage and pulling the shaft out. The seal should be available from a tranny shop or a dealer.

Try cleaning everything up and then checking it again in a day to track the leak down.

9. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    better to spend a little money and get a higher quality tranny filter kit with a better gasket in it, try to snug all the bolts about the same but if you squeeze it so tight it is pushing the gasket out, then that is too much /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    but make sure you ask them if it has a cork gasket if they don't know open it up and find out there if it has cork don't get it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. fourwheelerjeff

unless you like to keep the underside of your truck well lubed with atf, as well as your driveway and everywhere else you go /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is nothing wrong with cork gaskets. I've used them before with no problems. In fact, if your pan isn't perfectly straight, cork is the way to go.

Then again, I once had that problem. I fixed it permenantly by swapping out my automatic. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then my 4 speed leaked so I sealed it up with 2 tubes of silicone. (I definitely don't recommend this be done on an automatic!!)

12. mudhog

yes cork can be used but felpro gaskets are way better so why not do it right the first time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Can I get the felpro gaskets locally, at a Pepboys, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA??? I'm on their websites and I'm not seeing felpro.

Oh, and thanks to all...exactly the info I was needing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. mudhog

yes you can get felpro gaskets at any parts store just ask for them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    There is nothing wrong with cork gaskets. I've used them before with no problems. In fact, if your pan isn't perfectly straight, cork is the way to go.

Then again, I once had that problem. I fixed it permenantly by swapping out my automatic. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then my 4 speed leaked so I sealed it up with 2 tubes of silicone. (I definitely don't recommend this be done on an automatic!!)

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree.
    It's in the prep. It has to be absolutly oil free before you install the cork. I always wipe the surface the gasket seals to wil brake cleaner on a paper towel.

16. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

77Jimmy, you might want to inspect the tranny fluid cooling lines that fit into the passenger side of the tranny. If there is a leak there it will drip down to the pan giving the illusion your pan gasket is leaking. and snug them pan bolts up!

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i used a cork gasket in mine and its been fine so far! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Mine seems to always be "juicy" and i've replaced it a few times and torqued the bolts to spec. Maybe it is a leak elsewhere, don't know.

Anyone just use silicone and no gasket? This seems to work on other parts /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

19. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i like using the neoprene gaskets from the dealer. i've never had a problem with one of them leaking. just my .02