Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Pans

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 21, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I am going to change to tranny oil and figured while I'm down there, I am going to replace the stock pan with a B&M Deep pan. Does anybody have one of these? Are there any perks about them? I have a 305, TH350.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have one on my 700R4 but they make them for a 350. It holds about 3 more qts of fluid and it has cooling fins in it which both help to dissipate heat. mine has a drain plug so you don't have to drop the pan to drain the fluid but you will to change the filter so it might be a good idea to get a remote filter kit. I don't know how much they cost but it would probably be good because you can use a regular oil filter which is better i think. My pan is a B&M and it cost $44 at AutoZone.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I also forgot it has a lowering thing to lower the filter but on mine it was too long so I had to cutsome off but its probably different for a 350. Also while your down there you might want to put a shift kit in. They only cost like $60

4. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Deep pan isOK but remote inline filter is a BAD plan.
    All fluid supplied to tranny running parts runs thru the inline filter. It's added resistance obstructs flow reducing cooling and flow.
    Mike at Bow Tie overdrives hates external filters.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What kind of shift kit should I get and is it hard to install? I am thinking of getting a TH400, but that wont be in a year or so, so I wont do anymore to this tranny.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

6. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Your not thinking a T400 behind your 305 are you?
    B&M aluminum pan = Good
    External filter = Bad
    RV shift kit = Good
    Strip shift kit = Bad
    90K5, was that $44 pan aluminum or the steel one? I think the Aluminum one is like $100 in the Summit catalog.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you DON'T get a chrome tranny pan, as chrome HOLDS IN the heat!!! I have a Derale pan on my dually (TH400). It has the cooling tubes that run through it (about 10-12) from front to back that cools the fluid, and is larger capacity. They make them for 350s and 700s also. Check Summit or Jegs, about $75.

ken

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Of course I'm not putting the 400 behind the 305, I'm getting the 400 after the I swap in a big block. I also heard of those little steel BB's falling out of the tranny, will I have to worry about those when I put in a shift kit?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

9. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Check out the Derale pan. Holds more fluid and has cooling tubes going through it. Stay away from the B&M chrome pans since they hold in heat. The alum. B&M pans work fine.

Shawn
    87 K5

10. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Which pan is better for cooling?
    "Derale" steel with 1 extra quart, and cooling tubes. or
    "B&M" aluminum with 2 extra quarts, and cooling fins

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I would say the Derale, cause it has the cooling tubes...thus more fluid is exposed to cooling air (thru the metal tubes).

ken

12. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Sylcone/Typhoon guys did a test between the alum B&M and Derale. The Derale stayed cooler. More cooling surface.

Shawn

13. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Shawn, that is exactly what I wanted to know! if anyone had some data from an actual comparison test. [​IMG] I will do a search and see if I can find it. Thanks

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just got a TCI deep aluminum pan for my 700r4. It holds 2 extra quarts, has cooling fins, and a drain plug. About $100 from Jegs, I think the one for the 350 is a little cheaper.

15. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

There was a similar post earlier on chrome pans. The tranny pan wasn't designed to dissipate heat. Fins and tubes will aid in heat transfer but how much do you say?

1. The tubes and fins work on the heat transfer principal of greater surface area.

2. This increased area needs a medium to send heat to "air"
    if you are 4 wheelin then this will be basically non
    existant. Unless you go at highway speeds on trails
    "not"
    3. For 4 wheelin a heavy duty "radiator" tranny cooler
    is the best b/c your engine is constantly pulling air
    over the cooler giving it constant heat dissipation.
    4. Another way to look at it, check your owners manual and
    look at the maintenance shedule. It says nothing about
    cleaning your engine block/tranny/or tranny pan. Oil
    and dirt accumulation on these surfaces is one of the
    worst materials that conduct heat. So if your engine
    and transmission have dirt, oil, or mud imagine the
    difference between chrome and dirt....chrome will conduct and dissipate heat better than every car I have simply b/c they get dirty. And maybe if you have a chrome tranny pan you'll keep it cleaner and will be a whole lot better off....

All in all I personally wouldn't worry about anything other than extra capasity. Chrome rusts... bad choice for anything unless you like cleaning. The pan with the tubes. bad idea: great place for mud to go and "dirt dobbers" to make nests. If you keep things meticulously clean and have these tubes your tranny might run a little cooler going 60 mph. but in traffic or on trails it won't do a thing or very little when you look at the cost even the fins. Heavy duty tranny cooler is the way to go.

Wasn't me.............

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I am the BIGGEST IDIOT on the face of this planet. I was told that I had a TH350 by a notable source, so I trusted that I had a 350. Well, today I had a hunch that I'd better figure out that it is a 350 before I ordered a pan, and its a 700R4. I sure am glad I checked that out before I bought a pan!

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I disagree that a finned tranny pan will not make much of a difference. The reasoning you gave about not having any medium (air) to send the heat to is, in my opinion, not valid. As long as there is a sufficient volume of air under the vehicle to absorb the heat, the increased surface area of a pan with fins, or cooling tubes, will make a substantial difference. Even at the very slow trail speeds, there is constantly a fresh supply of air under and around the vehicle, and this air will "absorb" the heat as long as it is cooler than the pan is. For another reference, I believe FourWheeler magazine had an article with their project Blazer (the blue diesel one) a while back when they tested several different types of transmission mods and reported the cooling effect they had.