Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny pans

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dewey, Feb 7, 2001.

1. dewey

dewey Registered Member

does anyone know of anyone who makes a drain plug system for automatic transmissions? I need to change the fluid, and from looking at the bolts, I'm gonna snap them. I realize i won't be able to get to the magnet to clean it, but new fluid is the best option..anyone?

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I know B&M makes one, but it involves buying anew pan.....haven't looked around for just a drain plug kit. B&M might make one.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I have seen a kit to install a drain plug at Autozone. I am pretty sure that Summit also has them. I ended up using a spare engine oil pan drain plug and gasket by drilling the proper size hole in the pan and having a nut brazed to the pan. This works great-no leaks. Same size wrench for both engine and trans drains.

D. Johnson
    78 Blazer

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The local auto parts store should have the extra capacity B&M pan with drain plug - costs here around $49.99..........might want to make sure there is clearance for the deep pan if you go this route.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

NAPA sells a drain plug kit ($7) that you drill a hole in the bottom of the pan and slip it through. Put the nylon washer on then tighten the B-nut. Myself, went with the B&M pan.

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

B&M makes a plug kit but it involves taking off your pan for the modification. I've seen some of the tapered plugs that you can install without taking off the pan but they have a problem with long term sealing.You might be surprised at how strong those bolts are when you go to take them out. I'd try rapping each one with a hammer before taking them out. The drain plug is a good idea, if only to get cut down on the mess.

Smitty