Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny plan...shot down

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Broke_Wheeler, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

Well i was looking at some tech info on some diffrent GM trucks, and my brain delievered my salvation. My father owns a 88 S10 pickup. It has a 4 speed manual, with a super low first gear... Could this be the awesome sm465 Tranny? I think so :D Now... When i buy my blazer I want a 4 speed, but 99.99% of the blazers i have looked at all have automatic trannys. SOMEHOW i need to convince my dad to let me take the tranny out of his S10 and putting it in my blazer... I dont think that is going to work, :mad: but i thoguht i would post my moment of happiness.. I guess im off to the junkyard to look for a sm465/NP205 combo... BTW i plan on buying all the parts now.. 14BFF D60.. Tranny/T-case.. so when i ACTUALLY do buy my blazer.. i can bolt in everything and go Thanks for listening

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I'm not the expert, but I don't think it's an SM465. I had an S10 Blazer and can't imagine there being enough room under there for an SM465 to even fit.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it is a 4.3, there is a possiblity!

Crawl under and see if its got a PTO port on both sides. I just pulled a 465 out of a truck with a 4.3 :)

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I *really really* doubt the 465 ever found it's way into an S10. It's way too big and heavy duty for a truck that size and with the trucks rated capabilities. They could barely fit the 700 in there, the 465 is a dang tall transmission, if nothing else.

I'm sure someone on here knows for sure and will post up though. :)

I bet if you went somewhere like s10.org (if it exists) all the available trannies will be listed.

5. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

thanks

Yea you guys are probably right. I dont know if its a sm465 or not.. i was just kinda hoping/guessing.. i should really think about it and look at the facts first... still fun too wish it was though :D thanks for the comments guys -lyons

6. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

You can find sm465s in junkyards, ebay, local advertiser and even here on ck5 for sale. I bought two at a time from a guy locally.

If your fathers s10 is still running and driving I would not rob it of its transmission which will not be an sm465 anyway.

You can even use a 2wd sm465 if you swap out the mainshaft (which can be purchased or scavanged) to a 4wd version. You just need a shop press to do it.

7. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 465/205 combo , no pedals or clutch linkage F/S in mich, PM me if you want