Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny pointers needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 468k5, Aug 18, 2004.

1. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

I have just rebuilt my first th350 and believe it or not it actually worked! I beat the snot out of it all weekend on the trails and not so much as a slip or a leak out of it except a little dipstick spillage when I stood it on it's nose! It held up behind the 468 just fine until the stress test was cut short. I broke the front wheel off dragging a dead bronco up out of the woods.
    I've been told I'm too abusive and that the th350 will never last. What can I do to make the 350 tougher? The only things I've done besides the rebuild kit was remove the kick down cable,tap and plug the hole(one less chance for leaks) and put in a B&M shift kit(heavy duty).

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it'll hold up to quite a bit of abuse. I rebuilt my th350 a couple years ago with a B&M stage 2 shift kit... I drive it hard every day and have over 27,000 miles on it and still chirping gears and going strong. But i don't have a 468 in my k5.. yet. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I put a tranny temperature gauge on it and realized that it would get pegged at 250* when wheelin in 4 low, and would stay around 210* driving around town.. I put on a B&M stacked plate cooler 28,000GVW the biggest tranny cooler they make... and i watched my trans temperature drop like 40 degrees compared to before. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    So i'd say put one of those baby's on there and let us know how your th350 holds up. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

I've got a pretty large tranny cooler on it. I don't have a temp gauge yet but seems to stay cool enough.