Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, May 24, 2005.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Ok, I made it safely from Las Vegas to Nebraska. I only had one problem along the way. Let me start by telling you what happened a couple of months ago.

The flywheel cracked because the bellhousing didn't get tightened up against the block (shoddy tranny shop who is now out of business). It pulled the torque converter out enough that back then it was slipping really bad when I would take off from a stop. We changed the flywheel and tightend everything up the way it should be and it ran great in Vegas and on the way up here.

Except, about 3 times when I stopped for fuel, it would slip and shudder when I would take off from a dead stop. All the other times it was fine, no problems what so ever. I'm thinking I have a bad torque converter. Please tell me what you think is wrong or let me know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks,

Rick

Oh yeah, specs are in my signature!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would expect the pump drive tangs to be chewed up.

Had a TH400 that had a poorly machined converter (was to "thin" overall) which resulted in poor pump drive tang engagement...chewed the drive tangs right off the pump, but when that happens, you lose all movement.

3. rick88blaze

Any idea how hard it is to just change teh pump on the tranny? :confused:

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty easy as tranny repairs go, remove tranny, unbolt pump, pull it out.

If you ground ANYTHING up, you will hear it recommended to at the very least replace the torque converter and flush out the cooling lines.

When my TH400 came apart, I just put a new pump in it and called it good. :) Sold the car with it still working. I'm definitely not saying thats the right way, but I had just rebuilt the thing, so I wasn't throwing more money at it.

5. rick88blaze