Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Oct 17, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

So i am driving up the the mountians on sat. and all of a sudden there is alot of smoke coming out from under the truck.
    Pull over ,all kinds of tranny fluid under the truck
    so im nt shure wher eit is coming from, looks to be about the center of the tranny on the pass side.
    what is there that would spray fluid all ovet the place, all of a sudden.
    checked the tranny cooler lines, they are fine, t-case isent leaking.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Breather tube on top of the trans...you may have a blockage somewhere. Is it shifting at all?

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

oh ya shifting fine, no other problem other the the fact there was flluid all over the place, checked the fluid on the tranny and it was still within limits.
    t-case is still full to

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

anyothers?

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

My th350 has done this on several occassions. Don't know why. People tell me my torque converter needs to be upgraded. So I am ripping it all out and going standard. Mine was driving fluid up the dipstick tube and then it would go down over it all. Big mess, no major loss of fluid. If you can unbolt the center hump, do so and have a look at your tranny vent, mine was fine . Also change the filter in your tranny to make sure it isnt plugging up.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Big tires and high gears???

If you have bigger tires than stock,and highway gears,like 3.08's,and no add on tranny cooler,your tranny probably overheated and peuked some fluid out of the vent or dipstick tube..I had one K5 I was riding in catch fire when that happened as we exited the highway and stoped at the end of the ramp.(it had 44's and highway gears-)--it only did it after high speed drives,especially if you climbed a hill,then had to stop...
    It caught fire when the ATF hit the headers,but it only burnt about 30 seconds--just long enough to toast the plug wires on that side--we drove it home on 4 cylinders,popping and backfiring all the way!..we put an A/C condenser on it for a tranny cooler(flushed it out good with solvent and air hose),it never did that again.. :crazy:

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well i guess its time to put the cooler on it than
    it wasent coming out of the dipstick tube, and it isent leaking jus sitting there, so i guess ill have to put the cooler and temp guage on it now.
    hope that fixes it.

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That should help alot. It def. sounds like it got too hot.

John

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dont know how it got to hott though, just crusing on the freeway.
    I would think if it was a heat problem, it would have happend on the rubicon trip.
    i change the fluid and filter everyother oil change to.

10. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

Torque Converter

My 1981 K1500 had the same or similar problem. The torque converter broke. Fluid started to pour out and blow onto the exhaust pipes as I was driving (this is what caused all the smoke). The center welds that attach the center shaft sheared. I asked for a Heavy duty replacement. The mechanic said that it is a semi-common problem with cheap converters.