Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ss96evo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ss96evo

ss96evo Newbie

I have a 1990 full size jimmy and was wondering if anyone had ever experienced a clicking noise coming from the tranny? It is a 4l60e. Sounds like a ratchet when its being turned. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also would a tranny from an s-series fit.

Thanks,
    Allen

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

by s series do you mean like a baby blazer?:D i would think that depending on the type of tranny it is you could get it to work, ie it had a th350 yes it would work in you fullsize.

dunno bout the sound though, have you pulled the pan and looked at stuff yet?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

90 should still be 700r4. 91 was first for e series trannys. but there is a one way roller clutch in the tranny if it blows up it might sound like that.

need more info of the sound time/speed/gear and stuff to help pin point.

and s series could swap in but thay dont have as big a clutch packs in them and other things. wont last as long as a full size tranny spec unit.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

A weak or broken parking pawl return spring is a possibility (as are incorrectly assembled parts if the transmission was totally or partially disassembled then reassembled immediately before the noise began).

5. ss96evo

ss96evo Newbie

I took the pan off today. Didn't look good. Found a used tranny that my junk guy has. Thanks for the info.

6. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my th350 has made three different clicking noises. one time it was a cracked flywheel, another time it was loose torque converter bolts, the third time was neither nor do I know what it is. stuffed an sm465 in its place so Ill prolly never know.

7. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

x2 I went through 2 700r4s (4L60s). Never again. Swapped in a SM465. Actaully 1992 was the first year for the "e" transmission. It followed the change in body is how I remember it. A transmission will fit from an s series, BUT DO NOT DO IT. I did this after I lost my first 700r4. BIG MISTAKE. It worked but not well. Like you I was thinking that since the 4.3L is just like the 5.7L, only with two less cylinders, that the tranny would work, but it shifted at the wrong rpms, and all the shifts were real elongated. It lasted about a month before it died. It was a total waste of time and money. Personally (and I'm sure that big dan will agree) I would just do the swap to an SM465 if you have any further problems. And yes, the clicking is probably coming from the torque converter or the flywheel cracking.

8. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

I spend Most of my time on the freeway and driving in town. Yes I wheel too but I unfortunately don’t roll in the cash so I drive my toy to work.

Because of this I use an automatic.

No problems at all. I have a 350 because of the cost to convert to 700r4. I am saving for my 700r4.

I know of many who have autos built cheaply because of sticker shock. I have a friend who neglected to mention that he only paid 1000 dollars to rebuild his transmission when it should have been around 2000 for a properly built 700r4. He complained and complained and wala turned out the choices he made based on the price were the reason it broke prematurely. If I had not gone to the shop with him to “complain” I would have never known. People tend to forget these facts when looking for compassion.

Remember the automatic is just a big hydraulic pump with clutches so keep it cool and maintained and it can last for a very long time.

Yes it is expensive but a well built 700r4 can and will take 600hp without any problems...and even with big tires. I have seen it over and over and it always costs more to do it right.

I don’t build transmissions but I work in the servicing of trucks and tankers and trucking companies are always looking for a way to have there cake and eat it too.

So if you go automatic tell the builder exactly how abusive you are and be ready to spend real money.