Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Aug 7, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

just got my blazer back from the tranny shop. they fixed a few things like adjusted my shift linkage due to a body lift. but they said that it will still not shift into low one or two. they said it is binding on something inside and they where gonna have to drop the tranny pan to have a look. does any one know what the problem could be ? think itll be a costly one? btw, they said every thing else was fine during shifts (its an auto, btw). thanks in advance for any info.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If it shifts fine 1-2-3-4, then you are pretty much good to go. If the lever just can't manually move into the lower ranges, it is probably just a problem with the shift linkage.

What else did they do besides adjust the shift linkage? The problem may be their fault.

Did it go into the lower ranges before the body lift? If so, there is nothing wrong inside the tranny and it is their problem to fix it if they already charged you for a linkage adjustment.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Unhook the shift linkage and see if you can get it in to first and second gear by hand from under the vehicle. Chances are they monkeyed something up when they adjusted it. They might have done something really stupid like adjust the linkage on the outside only (instead of also moving the clip on the column that says what gear you're in) and there is no more range left in the shifter. Believe it or not you can do this.. and that's because I almost did it myself. hehe.

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

nope, after the body lift i had to hold the stick in drive to be able to drive it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif the other thing they did was unrelated-they swapped out my 4x4 shift box with the correct year's so my indicator lite would work correctly. i had the same problem with my k20-no lo (1) or lo (2) but never really new the exact problem, the same place fixed it. i will say this was a rush job. the sob's had my truck almost two weeks to do this job before i called and chewed some a$$ ! i dunno, have any other ideas ?

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i dont think thats the problem, but ill check just the same. thanks for the info. much appreciated.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly all that needs to be done is a cotter key pulled and it comes apart. It's still raining outside otherwise I'd go look.

7. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

If u put more then 1 inch of body lift then u should look at the rod that come from the firewall to see if it was lenghted . u should see that it was welded to be longer than OEM .(i put a 1 inch body lift and had to make it longer) just to be sure,take the bolt off(from that rod )
    and shift the trany by hand.U should hear all the click from shifting it .If u dont then u have to drop the pan to see what inside.
    Btw u should have remove the linkage BEFORE u did the body lift not to bend the linkage.(i did the same thing so dont fell bad!!!!)
    From the sound of it get a new trany shop too!!!!!

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

These guys are right. Disconnect the linkage to see if the problem is inside or outside of the tranny. Even if it is inside, it should be easy to see what the problem is once the pan has dropped.