Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ok guys.. help me out here.. my neighbor has a 1989, i think 3/4 ton chevrolet truck, 4wd 350, auto(700r4, right?).. he was on his way to mexico when it "broke" as they explain it, so i had to drag it through his yard for him when the little mazda they towed it from the interstate to his house with got stuck in their yard....anyways..

when you put it in park position, it just grinds.. im thinking something internal to the transmission is screwed up.. whats your opinions? im gonna try and look at it this weekend and see if i cant "drive" it.. might be able to buy it cheap and need some info.. thanks..

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it was probably the t case that "broke". with the tcase in neutral and put it in park, it grinds because nothing is stoping the tranny from spinning.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

big83chevy4x4 is corect, sounds like the transfercase. In a rear wheel drive car you have the foot on the brake when you put it in park, but if you didn't the parking pawl in the transmission makes a god awful racket until it stops. They need to look at the tranfercase.To verify this turn off the engine and put it in park, truck may still move when pushed or pulled. If he's lucky it may just be the linkage got popped out of gear or something, mine did that once wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd try pulling the t-case into 4-lo. See if it will move then, thus stopping the grinding.

I have had several 208 and 241's do exactly this. Low range has always worked for me until I could get off the road or back home going slowly.

My .02,
    John

Edit: Make sure they put it in low-range with the engine off. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Confedneck

tell ya what.. when i looked at it yesterday, the tcase was in neutral.. so that may not be the problem..im hopin my neighbor gives up on it quick.. id like to have that truck for a daily rag..

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

doen a flat tow probably dident help that trans much either thats alot of pressure building up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Confedneck

they didnt flat tow it far i think, and they had the t-case in neutral so its not wearing that much..