Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny problems again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok i am on my 3rd 700R4 tranny and i feel my new one slipin and holding gears way too long......is this goin to be another huge bill again or is there a possible fix for it.....
    Chaz
    1988 k5 silverado

"The stuck lemon"

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Chaz

Are you running the stock 350? Are you getting cheap builds done or using cheap parts? Just curious because I know the earlier 80's 700-R4's had a bad rap but I didn't think the newer ones had that much trouble. I plan on getting mine overhauled by a tranny shop when I rebuild my Blazer this summer and having them install either a B&M or JET tranny kit. Both are said to increase the 700-R4's torque capacity from the stock 350ft-lbs to 450ft-lbs. Maybe you need something like this if you have bigger tires, engine, or a heavy foot?

Good Luck with it
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

the tranny in my '89 went out awhile back. the guy at the tranny shop said the problem (i forget exactly what was sticking) was somewhat typical. i asked him to drop in a shift kit, or a beefier rebuild, and he admonished me, saying that the stuff he did was better. he did all the stuff to that tranny that the factory does to the corvette trannies (whatever that entails). now, i don't know if his opinion is worth a fart in a windstorm, but my truck has been one smooth-shiftin' unit since the rebuild.
    it cost a little bit more, but it seems to be worth it.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok well it sound like i dident give details on what my truck is and how i drive.....i am only runnin 32's and everything else is stock.....and i do have a heavy foot (size 15 dosent help) i drive it like every traffic light is a drag race (i win most of the time ha ha) the tranny that is in there now is a brand new from the GM dealer....the first one was the stock one the second time i had it rebuilt and it lasted about 12000 miles till i killed it...and this time i am on about 17000 miles and its starting to do what my last one did...i have a 50000 mile warranty on it so gettin it replaced prob wont be a prob this time but is there something i can do to prevent this again becides lopin off some of my foot (that idea is just not goin to work for me) ...and will a shift kit really make that big of a difference on it or will it just change the shift points?
    thanks.
    Chaz

"The stuck lemon"

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

My guess is that you need at least a shift improver kit if not something along the lines of what I mentioned earlier. That should put your tranny in the safe zone in terms of excess capacity. Meantime, see what Grim has to say

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

With those kind of driving habits, nothing short of a TH400 tranny will live. The 700s are not meant for that kind of abuse, not even if JET rebuild them!!!

ken

7. Drag racing a 700R4 in a 6200 lb. vehicle and I bet your in O.D. too !!! You deserve to buy a 3rd one !! Those 700R4's just won't handle that kind of stress unless its a TCI/Jet converted one.

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm sitting on 176,000 mile ORIGINAL 700R4. I drive the crap out of the truck too. I'm not even close to easy on the thing. I've never had any trouble out of it (knock on wood) the thing runs like a champ. These things like to be cool though, REAL COOL. Get the biggest dang cooler you can, other than that, all you can do is keep slapping new one's in and hope for one that was built on a Wednesday [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

hey bigburb....its not goin to be my 3rd....i am on my 3rd....its goin to be 4th in 2 years.....maybe i need to find a diff kind of vehicle and get rid of my k5....or not.....i hope the warranty will cover this one tho....
    Chaz

"The stuck lemon"

10. Matt N.

Matt N. Registered Member

I would make sure you get a cooler on it...also, did you replace the torque converter? If not, I would now. Make sure you flush ALL the stuff out of the old cooler & lines before you install a new one too. I saw a cool kit that does it on TNN a few weeks ago....

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You guys are scaring me.........I keep reading all over the place, and seeing lots of BIG trucks with the 700R4 in them. And with JET offering a 700 for around $1500 with the capability to handle 450 ft. lbs of torque, seems the tranny can handle it - IF BUILT RIGHT. I know this tranny was a piece of *%it in the early S-10's, but after the years of improvement, you would think they are OK. So what is the real story? Anyone running a beefed up 700? Anything to the JET claim of handling the power? Gotta know, I want one in my 79 behind my TPI aspirated 406 for the overdrive so I can have my 35 inch tires and 4.56 gears! Let's hear it...........

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

12. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Don't really know to tell you, my 700 r has outlasted 3 motors, and if in the 300,000 plus range, has had a shift kit put in and new seals, and is doing great, now my motor runs real cool, around 160 - 180 range in Texas, now my personnel opinion is that cool trannys last longer..WK