Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Problems(Bowtie Overdrive)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Apr 30, 2004.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I bought my 87 blazer from a friend 2 years ago and he had just put a level 3 700r4 in the blazer from bowtie overdrives. I have never had a cooling problem with it(after market cooler) and the engine is mostly stock the only things that I have changed is putting 1tons with 4.56 gears and 35 inch tires. I live in a place where there is not to many hills to mess with the rpms and the gearing. I was driving on the freeway and lost both 3rd and 4th gear. No I dont have the paper work for the tranny. So what is my best option. Its going to cost me about $1500 to rebuild it locally with the same quality parts or should I just buy a new one and from who? This is my daily driver and I do want to keep a overdrive tranny in it...

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would give bowtie a call...they are a good group of people and will probably stand behind their tranny. It had to be a defect because a stage 3 should have NO problem with your combo.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I spoke with BO extensively when I was planning on getting a Stage 3 unit from them. They were extremely helpful and always took time to talk about any questions I had. One of the things they really stress though is the proper installation and calibration of the TV unit. If your seller did things by their book, they will stand behind the unit 100%. If the installer didn't do everything they asked, they won't warranty it. I'd call BO and ask them as they probably keep pretty good records of who has complied with the warranty requirements, and who has not. They told me some folks buy their transmissions, and never call back once to report their installation and activate the warranty.

4. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just called Bowtie Overdrive and they said they would rebuild it for $800, they did the install on it when it was my friends. They seem like a really good company and my friend had nothing but good things to say about them, so it looks like I might have to take a little road trip. My only other hope is that they kept the records of the tranny when my friend bought it because he said he would go with me and they might cover the cost because he had a lifetime warrenty on it.