Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny problems, no money, PLEASE help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BUDDY, Nov 16, 2000.

1. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm fixing to just swap in a standard, but in the meantime... My tranny, (TH350) will only shift into 3rd manually, as I drive and also, it has been taking a long time and finally slips into reverse. It moves down the road just fine, but will only get third if I shift into it and then it feels like it's slipping too. I just got this thing rebuilt in March and I'm fixing to move across country at the end of December. Obviously, something need to be done, I just don't know what, and if it's going to cost me then it will have to wait 'cause I don't have any money. What can I do?

Thanks for the help,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I hate to ask stupid questions, but if you just got it rebuilt in March didn't you get a warranty? Or has the warranty just expired?

Rene

[​IMG]

3. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Nope, did it on the cheap and now I'm paying for it. A local guy did it in his backyard and I installed it myself. Looks like I got hosed for around 200.00. I just need it fixed now and I don't have the time or money to be shakin' it down before the trip to Buffalo. All Around Suckage!!

Thanks for the reply,

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

4. FWP

FWP CRS

There's not much you can do that doesn't cost alot of money, other than the simple stuff- fluid level, kickdown cable adjust and check, shift linkage check and adjust, and filter/fluid change. If your adventurous, you could drop the valve body and clean it- you may have a piece of dirt in there hanging up one of the valves. If the guy that built it did it in the backyard- well all it takes is a speck of dirt .001" to give you fits.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You could also spend a few bucks on a decent tranny additive and see if it helps. A friend of mine used some sort of "miracle" additive on a half-worn tranny a while back and claimed it made a big difference........