Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny problems !!UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Nov 20, 2003.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ok i was plowing dirt with the snow plow put it in reverse and it wouldn't engauge. put it in drive and nothing, put it in reverse revved it and it clunked and moved so i let off the gas and it wouldn't move again. checked the fluid and it wasn't on the stick(truck was kinda twisted) filled it up and still nothing reved it up and it moved so i just backed it up to the road and when tp put in drive and nothing and then reverse and nothing again.

the only thing i can think it is is the filter is pluged and when i rev it up it sucks enough fluid to enguage it and that is all. oh yea it is a th350 with shift kit and big cooler. this is my daily drive and need to get it fixed soon. also every once in a while i would put it in gear and nothing i would tap the gas pedal and it would enguage its doing the same thing just not enguaging. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifThis thing is really pissing me off PLEASE HELP /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

im thinking about building up a 700r4 and throwing it in it. (thats what came in it origanlly)

UPDATE
    I put the t case back in it and pulled the drain plug and i got not even a quart of fluid out. i stuck my finger in the hole and there was a mettalic coating on the bottom of the case.

MY NEW question is could it be the tcase that went out? when i turn the front output in 4wd the rear also turns. i hold the truck in park. in 2wd i turn the shaft and it turns the tranny shaft, so it seems like everything is working correctly. please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: tranny problems

sounds like it is either
    a: plugged filter.
    b: low on fluid
    c: or the clutches are bad

3. big83chevy4x4

1. posibly
    2. no i jsut check it level and it is a little over full, like a 1/4 quart
    3. no because it jams into gear when it desides to enguage.

im going to pull the pan off and poke around and see what i can find. im also thinking that maybe one of the valves are stuck or something.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

Good luck, I had a TH350 that would only go into reverse and only move when I revved the piss outta my truck and ended up putting in a different tranny. I took the valve body out and cleaned/reinstalled it, governor out, fluid change, I even pulled it and replaced the Torque Converter... still nothing. I wish you luck, but I doubt that you'll be able to fix it short of tearing it down to figure out whats up.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

actually it can be bad clutches. when you rev it up it will just rev until it catches and it will just suddenly bang into gear and off you go

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the front pump might be bad, if so that would cause a loss in fluid pressure. So if you rev the engine with it in gear, it might build enough pressure to move a little.

7. big83chevy4x4

see update in origanal post

8. 91jimmy

91jimmy Registered Member

Had the same problem. I had the tranny rebuilt it ened up being the pump.