Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ksblaze83, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

I have a 99 silverado 4.8L w/the NV3500 (yeah i know). Anyways sometimes it is a BIYATCH to get into 1st or 2nd. I will keep it in neutral and let off the clutch and press it back in and keep trrying but it never friggen wants to go into gear, but after driving it for 5 minutes it will go away (sometimes). Sometimes it wont go away. Also i have had it kick out of gear a couple times on me (1st gear). And when i changed the fluid/oil in it, there was a tiny piece of metal, not a shaving but an actualy tiny piece of metal in it. Dont know if it's the clutch or if the synchro's or what?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you have little metal chunks in your oil i would think that your synchro's might be going bad. Are you getting any gear grinding when shifting?

3. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

sometimes it grinds, but sometimes not. It's kinda wierd, i make sure i'm pushing the clutch in ALL the way too. Seems like sometimes the clutch grabs at mid pedal and sometimes it's more towards the top??? Dont know if that's normal but the nissan, camaro, and mazda i had were al manuals and the clutch was pretty consistant when it would grab??? I just didn't know if it was worth throwing a clutch at it or if i should just start saving?

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i think you have a few problems...the clutch and the synchros. if you try to shift without the clutch will it sometimes work? if you try it just blip the throttle and see if it goes in...if it does then it will be the clutch and the synchros. same thing happened to my buddys tranny. both of the things were bad.

5. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

will try that one tomorrow...should probably just finish it off too. If i gotta spend the $$$ i myswell have some fun too!