Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ROCKHARDK5, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ROCKHARDK5

ROCKHARDK5 Registered Member

Hey, I went to leave for work the other morning and when I put my blazer in reverse, I had nothing. Nor did I have anything in any gear, four low, or high. I have a 1989 fullsize blazer with a 700r4 tranny, does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Are you sure the linkage is connected. If it is your TV cable may have not been adjusted properly and burnt up the tranny. Lets hope it is the linkages.

Ira

3. ROCKHARDK5

I checked all the linkages and they all seem to be fine. I talked to a tech that I work with he seems to think that it might be the pump. I was also driving around town the night before with no problems. When I got home I noticed a ticking noise that I could not hear when I was out driving.

4. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

700r4s were weak trannys to start with even in a stock application. the trannys were originaly designed to go behind 4 cyl and then modified to fit a v8 and v6. if you could get your hands on a set of test gauges you could check the line pressure at the service ports. Just as a heads up though ive personally pulled at least 40 of these trans for my customers with everything from case fractures to broken sun gears and bad pumps. time to get a reman most likely.

5. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Definitely a pump failure:doah: The good news is now there is better upgrade internal harware for the 700 r4 that can make it darn near bulletproof.

6. gmtech954

sorry its not def a pump failure there is multiple components in a trans that coul all give that scenario. if you want ill list some others for you.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Wrong and wrong. Care to back up your statements with some facts, please??? :deal:

8. gmtech954

the 700r4 was originally designed as an over drive trans to allow for lower gearing in the rear so a 4 cyl could have decent accelaration but still achieve highway speeds. gm abandoned the idea but modified the trans slightly to use it with v8s for improved highway fuel economy. this is right from gm certified instructors at schools who teach gm techs.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I agree keep em cool and the tv cable properly adjusted and they will last a long long time. Mine has 180,000 miles on it.

Ira

10. Can Can

I'd still like to see your "proof". What your teacher said doesn't count......

Sure, the early 700s had issues. We all know that. However, I have a 700r4 running behind a 6.2 diesel in an 83 pickup that is still running strong, even after years of towing through the Canadian Rockies. Like sandawg says, keep a 700r4 cool and clean and it will put up with a lot.

What I really dislike is when people start spewing "facts" because they heard it once from a teacher or a "buddy who's a mechanic". There is WAY too much of that going around on the internet right now, and it's really hard for people to get straight up answers that are FACT-based.

FWIW, I did a little research and couldn't find any evidence that GM originally designed the 700r4 for a 4 cyl. application. Care to point me in the right direction so I can find an answer?

11. gmtech954

well here is fact for you i have personally pulled more of these transmissions then ANY other gm tranny ever made. They finally did start to work the bugs out in the late eighties when the modulator was seperate into its own valve body inside the trans alowing better flow and firmer clutch and band applications. Also for a number of years these trans had issues with porous case designs permitting internal pressure loss inside the case after warm up(if you want proof of that one ill dig up the gm tsb # for you) as a matter a fact ill bring home my 87 page 700r4/.4l60 product update manual and email u a scanned copy of each page if youd like!

12. gmtech954

and id say at least half of the ones ive had to pull were properly maintained in stock trucks

13. Can Can

Does your manual say anywhere that GM designed the 700r4 around a 4 cylinder motor? If so, scan that page and email it to me. My email addy is in my profile.

Dude, I'm not disputing that early 700r4s had issues. If you'd bothered to read my last reply you would have seen that. You would have also seen that I'm an owner of a 1st gen 700r4 who actually bothered to maintain his tranny and use it properly. How many trannies did you pull that were porrly maintained?:thinking:

Like I said, my bitch about your reply is that you didn't back up your statement with any fact. Remember, your opinion is not a fact, regardless of your experience in your field.

14. Can Can

Wow, so 50% of the failures could be easily attributed to poor maintenance? I thought so.....

15. gmtech954

well i guess the multiple different instructors from gm must have been wrong the and your right. my apologies

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I guess he finally understand what the green badge means under your name:haha: :haha: . And what are you doing out of the lounge anyway.... Back to your hole.:D

Ira

17. Can Can

Really, there's no need to apologize, unless you simply have no facts with which to back up your statement, other than hearsay.

18. Can Can

I'm going, I'm going. I just hate it when these kind of statements are made without backup and a whole whack of newbies read it and start saying "Geez, the 700r4 was supposed to be behind a 4 cylinder engine" and before you know it, EVERYONE BELIEVES IT.

My question is: How the hell did GM expect to mate a case that big with the transversally mounted 4 cylinder engines that were all the rage when the 700r4 came out? :thinking:

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I know I have been guilty of my Uncle (Certified GM Mechanic) told me this when I was young. Only to be smacked by the Green Badge of Courage.:D

Ira

20. ROCKHARDK5

Thanks for the info guys. I had the tranny installed just about three years ago by one of the, if not the best GM techs I know. I also am already running a tranny cooler, and check the fluid levels on a regular basis. Not once have I seen anything in the color of the fluid that made me suspicious. What other types of maintenence should I do to prolong the life of my tranny? Does anyone know where I can get a new tranny for a decent price?All of this on the tranny is all new to me.