Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Aug 15, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My tranny occasionally slips from D to OD when I'm driving on the road and today it went from D to N. Does anyone know what causes this? I'm really hoping its not going to R anytime soon (or ever). Is there a kit I can buy that can make it impossible to shift while its moving? Thanks in advance

90K5

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My buddies k-10 was doing this took to tranny shop. Not sure what they did but it was only 75.00. Are you sure trans is'nt slipping? This is waht we thought it was.

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

$ 75.00 doesn't seem bad since every time I've had to go to the tranny shop it costs me a damn fortune. Hahahahaha ! I'd like to know what the charge was for ....it would be one for the "remember that" category.

L8r,

.Riz.

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

It was a spring inside the case for the manual shift linkage. The tranny would shift gears and not always go into gears no matter were you moved the shift lever, sometimes would not go into park. But I will try to find out for sure.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Your gear selector spring in the tranny is probably loose and you can probably fix it your self. First, you should disconnect the shift linkage at the transmission and check the column shifter for free operation that does not have any spring force trying to change the gears. If it is fine, drop the transmission pan (get ready for the mess!) and look up inside. There is a big thing with notches that rides on the gear selector shaft. On top of it is a roller attatched to a long piece of spring steel. This holds the shift linkage in the different positions. The bolt that holds it to the valve body may be loose or the spring itself may be weak. You can get the spring from a tranny shop. If it is really easy to move the column shift linkage from position to position without much "click" between them, this is probably the problem.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

This was the problem with the k10 and it is an easy fix if you know what the problem is.