Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny problems.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trigger, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

My tranny wont shift and has no parking gear. Does anyone have a clue to what the problem might be? I don't have the TBI that is suppose to be on there, do you think that could be the problem? I took it to the shop and they rewired a few things, replaced plug wires, and timed it. Before I took it there it would shift.

2. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

did you replace the TBI with a carb? You better check your TV cable. If the carb came from an early model non-700r4 truck, then the arm won't swing right to give your TV the right pull. The shop may have made up for this by pre-setting the TV too high so only at high throttle will it shift right. Make sure it is at least hooked up!

3. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

but i guess that doesn't explain the no parking thing.... hmmm would they have messed with your linkage?

4. Trigger

[ QUOTE ]
    but i guess that doesn't explain the no parking thing.... hmmm would they have messed with your linkage?

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The no parking gear was a problem before I took it to the shop.

What do you mean "TV cable"?

5. Trigger

I took it for a drive today and it does take a high rpm to get it to shift into other gears.

Is there a vaccum line to the tranny that makes it shift?

6. Trigger

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

the TV cable is right below the throttle cable. it adjusts the fluid pressure in your tranny to control your shifts. if you stop by any tranny shop, they should be able to look at it and tell you where it's at, and if it's hooked up right.