Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Q's (non K-5 related)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1977k5, Jan 2, 2006.

1. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

To sum up the story, we have a '92 Pontiac Bonneville that we purchased about 2 years ago. My uncle owned the car before us and maintained the car very well. At about 120K the tranny failed and was replaced at an AAMCO in Aurora for about $2500 (my uncle still owned the car at the time). The tranny had a 1yr 12K warranty on it. The car was sold to us a short time after for less than the cost of the tranny. About a month after we got it the tranny started whining and we took it back to AAMCO (still within the warranty period). The mechanic had to pull the tranny and replace what he said where the differential bearings. That fixed the whining noise just long enough for the transmission to get out of warranty. The car now has 155K on it, has a highway speed vibration and leaks from the driver side axle seal. Upon removing the CV to check the axle seal it was found that bearings are failing inside the tranny. Now, of course I realize the tranny is out of warranty. The thought I am having is that the tranny was faulty when it was originally installed and the problem was never fixed (I have no idea what the problem is, a warped case would be my best guess). Is there any leverage here or am I SOL?

2. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

I would say you are SOL. Vibration in the CV joints is what destroyed the seals and tranny bearings in the first place.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I'd say sol.:doah:

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

CV's are fine, vibrations from differential bearings are what are causing the leak. I kinda figured there was no liability there.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

WOW, the thread was labeled tranny Q's (not K-5 related) i thought there for a second i was going to have to bust out the "funny" pictures of the fruitloop across the street from me.:doah: