Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny question? can it cause this??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Feb 18, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok so i just knew for sure my motor went out, cause after installing new tranny motor just kept losing power, so today my good freind pulled the motor, and pulled off pan and heads, said motor was clean, looked good, i was liek what? then a lil light poped in my head, new tranny? loss of power? hmmmm torque converter? so my question is now that i have the damn motor pulled and its good, and tranny is still good, could the torque converter cause me to loose power like i was noticing, and more of less lay it to the floor and not go anywhere? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    i just like to say mike ( my buddy that reads this forum and works on my trucks) thanks for all the help man

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the torque converter...especially if you can mash the gas and feel little of that power transfer to the wheels. What is the stall of the torque converter? If you don't have a need for a high stall converter, don't buy one. Replace the torque converter and you should be good to go.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you burned up your tranny and then replaced it, you should've been getting a new torque converter also because there's most likely contaminated burnt fluid all in the torqe converter, then you put that on a fresh tranny and flush all that crap through your newly rebuilt tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    That torque converter could have been your tranny problem all along?

Don't mistake a lack of fuel or spark to the engine as a tranny slipping problem, i did that once quite a while ago. It's tough to determine what the problem is sometimes.
    Does the engine itself have lack of power or is it just reving and the whole truck is not moving as fast as before and the tranny just slipping.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif