Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny question from Zakk

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by avu3, May 2, 2002.

1. avu3

avu3 Registered Member

Zakk is away from a computer this evening, but is dying to know:

"Should I pay $750 for a TH400/203 combo out of a wrecked 3/4 ton OR should I pay $650 for a professionally built TH 350"

He promises to read responses in the morning,

Scott

2. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

He should definetly find out the deal on the unit. Price sounds high, but if it's been gone through maybe not. I'd get a built one or have one built before I would buy a used one

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I second that I would go the rebuilt route that way you get a warrenty of some kind not a "at your own risk"[censored] out of luck if It goes bad....mike

4. avu3

avu3 Registered Member

Zakk has not seen the last couple posts about inexpensive quality local rebuilds, just so you know he wasn't ignoring those.

Also, this unit has a 90 day warranty. He told me when I asked him about it but I didn't write it down....

Scott

5. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Let Zakk know I may have a line on a rebuilt TH350 at a shop in Tracy. I made a phone call this afternoon, but I won't here anything till tomorrow morning. I'll post about it if I here something before I leave the shop(around 9am)in the morning

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I'd go with a used T400 before using any T350. The T350 in my '77 K20 was rebuilt twice in 2 years. And when they rebuilt it they put the heavy duty parts in it with extra clutchs ect. the T400 in '76 CJ7 took alot of abuse from the built 401. Fried the fluid once up by Donner Summit. Changed the fluid after I drove back to San Jose and added a external cooler and never had any problems after that.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

that is the only knock i have on the TH350, also.

this will be my 3rd in 8 months. the TH400 is strong, and the yard I am getting it from is the same one i got my D60 and 14BFF from. It is an actual wrecking yard, not some piece that has sat in a guys backyard for 2 years. fluid is good, no metal shaving in the pan.

it's $400 for the TH400 and $350 for the NP203 32 spline'r.

The best outright price i can find on a rebuilt th350 is $625 for the tranny, mild shift kit & torque converter.

8. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I paid 685 including new tranny mounts, installation, and a flywheel for my TH350. It came with a 18 month unlimited mileage warranty. If i would have pulled it myself and not bought the new mounts and flywheel it would have only been 395.00 to rebuild. They did have to honor my warranty once, but they did so and gave me a whole nother tranny right away. If you feel like driving to Sac I'll give you the number for them. Would save you a ton of $$$ and I recommend them. They have been doing Tranny's for years and that is all they do. Automatic Transmissions. The lady that runs the shop there is way cool.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The other thing Zakk is with the T400/NP203 your half way there to doing a doubler. Or get the T400 and change the imput on your NP205 to match. What would it cost to change over your NP205 to T400 stuff? Just make sure it's a T400 they have as my '77 K20 came with sbc400/ T350/ NP203.