Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nickstegeman, May 13, 2004.

1. nickstegeman

nickstegeman Registered Member

I need some help folks.

My Little brother /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif dropped my transmission this past weekend while up in Oklahoma. He should be picking her up with a flatbed as I type.

My problem is many fold.

First, I am not even sure what transmission is in there /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. She is an 85 that originally had a 305, but the previous owner put a crate GM 350 in about 3 years ago.

Second, should I just get another tranny, or try to have mine rebuilt? Money is EXTREMELY tight at the moment, but I do not the technical know-how to do the work myself.

Third, Does anybody know of a good shop in the Dallas,TX area?

Fourth, is there anyway to upgrade the tranny so that I won't be facing the same problem in a few years?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Nick

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Auto/manual?
    What does dropped mean? Did it lose all gears, some gears.

The best thing to do is give and be able to provide as many details as you can come up with. Someone here should be able to help you out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, we really need more info. What is the tranny doing/not doing?

If it's an auto it's probably the TH700R4
    If it's the stick, it's the SM465

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. nickstegeman

Sorry Guys.

It is an automatic.

The truck starts fine, shifts into drive fine, butshe will not leave first gear. Once she gets up to 7 mph or so, the engine just revs.

My /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Brother /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif says that he was traveling at about 65 mph on the interstate, when all of the sudden the engine reved and he started coasting to a stop. He then shut everything down and started her up again, but she could not get out of first.

Iam not very mechanically inclined /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, so this all the help that I can be. My /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifBrother /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif said that he thinks she has a 700r4, but I am not listening to him at the moment, so...

I hope this helps.

ns

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you may wanna check the governer gear. it may be stripped.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Why are you so mad at your brother? Unless he was romping on it or doing neutral drops or something, the tranny dying wasn't his fault. He just happened to be driving it when it went out. Automatic transmissions, especially 700r4's can go at any old time, so don't put the burden of fault on him just yet unless he admitted to doing something stupid.

7. nickstegeman

First of all, He was not even supposed to be in her (I was out of town)

Second, it's not the first time he has been abusing her.

Oh well, I guess he is still family. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The governor gear may have stripped. You can pull out the governor to check. It is under the metal cap held in by a strap. The TV valve may also be stuck. This is the cable that runs to the carb throttle linkage.

The biggest thing you can do to avoid problems in the future is to add an auxilliary cooler to it.