Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny question??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74757685k5, Oct 22, 2005.

1. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

I just got a k-10 for $100.thers a clanging noise from TConverter and reverse is not working.they said somting is striped. what would that be? this is an 82 with the 700r4

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, its hard to say. Are you sure the noise is coming from the converter? Does it move at all? If the reverse is gone, and the other gears work atleast somewhat, your tranny is gone. My reverse was the first to go too. The clunking could be a broken impeller inside the TC, or possibly a broken oil pump behind the converter. Could be a broken planetary somewhere. Again, hard to say without further diagnosis. I would just replace it or rebuild it with better parts and be done with it.

I would suggest going with an 87 and up tranny, with a 92-93 (i think) being even better. They made many improvements on the 700r4 over the years, including a thicker 3-4 clutch pack in the later years. My tranny date code says 93.

Good luck...