Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nanders, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Nanders

Nanders Newbie

Family friend has an 85 chevy 4x4 half ton. The trans is shot (TH700r4). I have a 79 chevy 4x4 half ton with a TH350. My trans has less than 1000 miles on it. I said we could swap mine into his truck. (I figured 125 dollars would be a good deal)

I know that I have the cast iron transfer case, and I think that he has the aluminum.

My question is what do I need to make the swap work? Is the th350 shorter/longer? Can I just give him my tranny and transfer case for a hassle free swap? What about driveshaft length and splines???? I talked to a few guys about it, and have gotten no where.

Thanx for the help guys.

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i did the same swap in my 86 blazer/truck the th350 is a bit shorter mine had a 6 inch tail shaft i think. but the splins should be the same . take the transfer case out of the 85 should be a 208 slide it onto the th350 see how much space you have in between them . i could not find the adaptor i needed so i measured that space and contacted www.performancegearandaxle.com they cut me a spacer from my measurments for about 125 that put evrything like it should be, ran vac.line and i was good. and ya a few mods all of yours will work in his, im process of swaping everything out of a 78 1ton into my blazer.