Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TamuFD, Jun 6, 2006.

1. TamuFD

TamuFD Newbie

I have been following the site for quite a while and you guys have helped me through many problems. I finally signed up and now I'm hoping that I can learn from your mistakes once more (makes my life easier). Ok, heres the actual problem:
    I'm looking to put overdrive into my '87 K30 (6.2, 4 dr, lng bd). I currently have a good old SM465. I've been looking all over south texas for an NV4500 built for a 4x4 chevy or dodge. So far I'm only able to find 2wd versions for around $700 or rebuilt 4x4 versions for $1200 or more.
    Option A: My inclination is to buy the 2wd version and hopefully be able to remove the tailshaft housing (and possibly change out the tailshaft) leaving mewith a 4x4 nv4500. Is this possible... or more importantly...is it probable, or am I lost entirely? I have never actually seen the 2wd version, this is only my theory...WHEN I'm wrong, please don't hang me.

Option B: Find an aftermarket overdrive or range box. Havent had any luck yet finding one used/rebuilt. Does anyone know where I might try?

Option C: Quite possibly my most off-based idea ever. Buy the 2wd NV4500, install it backwards behind my transfer case, have a yolk machined to mount on what was originally the input shaft, shorten driveshaft (I have plenty of it to shorten) and then "southern engineer" my linkages for the third stick. Bear in mind that this will not be used for extreme rock crawling, but some moderate rocks and some deep mud, a little towing, and a whole buncha highway.
    As soon as I get this finished, I'll have another list of projects and questions.
    Any help/links/resources would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

You have another option. Use 2WD NV4500 and put a divorced NP205 behind it.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

x2 and x2 again. thats what i am going to do.

any dodge or internatinal divorced will work for ya.

you have the wheel base for it also.

go hit the junk yards i found a 2x4 version for 80 bucks at my local yard . even out of the truck next to it on the ground.